Chapter 18: Second Life - A Physician's Life

The one he loves and wants back from the dead is Gao Yi Fei?

Well! That's none of my business. I have to focus on myself and get my eyesight treated, so I can become a respected physician!

From the first few days I was at Invigorating Essence Sect, Kong Shuguang kept to himself. I assumed he was busy with other things. Still, I went to the library with the little student, and continued experimenting all the different herbal medicine the sect had. I kept myself pretty occupied and was enjoying the new things I was learning. Trying to forget what I'd come across at Tian Guang Hall.

He really wouldn't let me live. As I was about to retire for the night, he came barging into my room. 

"Mingxian, I've prepared some medicine for you."

"Medicine? Don't tell me the only treatment you have for me is to digest medicine?"

"Well... it's a start."

He made his way over to the table I was sitting at and set down a clay bowl. It made a clattering sound as he set it near me. Inhaling the fumes from the bowl, it had a bitter and earthy scent. Not something I wanted to put in my mouth at all.

"Kong Shuguang, what did you put in it?" I made a dissatisfied expression.

"Just some Autumn Seeds and Raven Feathers along with Red Moon Drop."

"You have Red Moon Drop here?!"

A rare flower that only bloomed once a hundred years during a Blood Moon. I couldn't believe he had that at his disposal.

"Yes, we have a good amount. Only I am allowed to use it."

"Wow." I picked up the bowl once again to inhale deeply.

"Would you like to give it a try?"

I put the bowl to my lips, slowly tipping the warm liquid into into my mouth. It wasn't too bad, but I didn't quite like the dirt taste. I let out a disgusted gasp.

"Eat this." Kong Shuguang placed a small pebble into my palm. Sniffing it, I could tell it was sweet.

"Is this candy?"

"Something to have after drinking bitter medicine. To get rid of the taste."

Popping it into my mouth, the taste of caramelized sugar over-flooded my senses.

"Good candy," I said, chewing.

Kong Shuguang from then on started feeding me the medicinal brew. About after a month, even with the healing elements from the Red Moon Drop, my eye sight remained the same. Kong Shuguang was somewhat irritated by it. 

While Kong Shuguang was out on errands, I heard that there was a woman yelling in pain at the gates of the sect. Curious, I had the little student lead me all the way down the mountain. I could hear her woes of pain as we got closer. 

I followed her voice to the ground, and asked, "What seems to be the matter, Madam?"

"Are you-- are you the renowned Kong Shuguang?"

"I am not..."

"Whatever, I'm in pain and I need a doctor immediately!" She grabbed onto my sleeve. 

Being jerked around by her hold, I asked, "Where are you experiencing discomfort, Madam?"

"My stomach... my stomach," she said weakly.

"Doctor, my Madam has been complaining of a stomachache for months, but the doctor in the city said it was her womanly body that caused her pain, however the pain never went away," a shy servant girl reported to me. I figured she came with the Madam.

"Madam, please allow for me to feel the problem area?" I heard her take short breaths as if nodding, and carefully I placed my hand on her stomach just above the bladder.

"Madam, had you been urinating frequently?"

"Y-- Yes."

"Feverish, nauseous,  and pain when urinating?" 

"All of those... but-- I'd figure it was because I'd become pregnant five months ago."

Pregnant? I reached for her wrist. I don't feel another pulse...

"Madam, why don't we move to a more comfortable place?"

"Fine... fine."

The little student led us to a rest stop down the road. The servant girl accompanying the Madam helped set her down on the resting platform.

To the Madam, I softly said, "Madam, you are not with child."

"What?" I could hear the sadness in her tone as she refused to believe what I'd concluded.

"The physician you met with is wrong. You are not dealing with womanly pain. You have an infection that can be treated with the right medicine. I assume you started having this pain from five months ago as well?"

"Y-- Yes... I was so worried about my child... I risked the pregnancy and came here. But you're telling me, I was never pregnant?"

"No." 

"Ah Mei... What are we going to tell your Lord?"

Is she talking about her husband now?

"Madam, I am sorry you had thought there was another life growing inside of you. It is important to think of your health right now and get better."

After giving the Madam the prescribed medicine, she went off on her way with the maidservant. They came by carriage, so I was glad she didn't have to walk all the way back home to the city. 

"Miss Mingxian, should we return?"

"No. I'd like to pay someone a visit."