Chapter 24: Third Life - I've Changed

What I witnessed among those visions... was Kong Shuguang's death? I haven't even been in the Underworld that long and he already died? Just what was going on? If I tried to locate him here, would I be able to find his soul?

I thought to myself the possibility of running into Kong Shuguang in the Underworld. How I could finally give him a piece of my mind. Warn him to stay away from me. But if I had found him and talked to him, wouldn't that destroy the purpose of keeping away from him?

I didn't know how I would react if I did see that face of his. My feelings for him were complicated, but definitely spiteful. I asked an Underworld guard to look him up for me in the gadget, but he couldn't be located.

In order to pass time, I helped around in the Underworld by sweeping here and there. Helping lost souls find the Ghostly Restaurant or other Underworldly attractions. This time I bid Grandma farewell telling her to think of reincarnating herself. I wouldn't want her to stay in the afterlife for my sake. 

Finally, it was my turn. The long wait, the anguish, the chance to finally get it right. A soul scooped up the Tea of Forgetfulness into a bowl and handed it to me. Seeing that she poured it all the way to the top almost dripping out,  I stared at it questioningly and then at her.

"What?" she asked. 

"Can't you see that you filled it way too much?"

"It's how I always fill it."

"Well, it's wrong. You were the same person who poured mine last time and guess what? I was blinded in that life!"

Loud gasps and chaotic bickering roared behind me in the line. Souls cursing at the Tea pour-er. 

"Ask Old Lady Meng! That's how she wants us to fill it."

"You were probably punished to pour Tea right? To get back at those who put you here, you purposely over pour the Tea of Forgetfulness for innocent souls. Where is your manager?!"

"Fine. Fine... here." She took the bowl from me and poured some of the transparent tea back into the black pot, handing me about a third less of what she poured earlier.

"That's better," I remarked.

Raising the bowl up to my mouth, I gulped it down. Still tasted disgusting. Walking up to the platform and immediately jumping into the portal, the only thing on my mind was:

Become Immortal.

~~~

My hand wrapped around the handle of my long Meteor Sword. I was only truly in my element with that sword in hand, and the only time I felt at ease. Raising the sheer silver blade to the attacker, I pulled my left hand near in defense with two fingers extended. The attacker closed in on her strike, her spear aiming for my heart. I side stepped to the right, the swish sound of my sword whipped against her left shoulder. 

She rushed passed me only to turn around and use her spear to charge against the lower half of my body, making her way up to my neck. I countered each of her small, quick jabs by brushing my sword against the sharp spearhead. Running out of steam, she stepped back and defended herself as I raised my sword above, forcing it down with both of my hands onto the wooden staff of the spear. Using only half of my inner power, the staff did not split in half, but the attacker was struggling to push up against my weight. She jumped and twisted in the air, sending me spiraling into the distance, but I was able to land on my feet with no problem. 

Like flames of the forest, the autumn leaves falls as if not knowing a fierce battle would disrupt their way to the ground. Feeling cheeky, I used the Shadow Transport Technique to fool the attacker. Switching from the right to the left, I made my way closer to her. She stood confused on which version of me to attack. She was lucky this time. Dissipating the illusion, I slid my sword over her face just missing her nose by an inch as she leaned backwards. 

Finally snapping out of the trance, she used the staff to hit my side. She came close, but I propelled myself off the ground and flew backwards, out of bounds. Connected by a chain from the wooden staff, the spearhead swung out toward my face. I let it fly past and wrapped my arms around the chain, pulling myself near the attacker. Her spear was useless in my hold as I put the Meteor Sword to her neck. 

She admitted defeat, and smiled, "Junior, your swordplay has improved."

Cockily, I said, "Maybe it's because Senior has been shrinking away her dedication to practice."