Chapter 48: Third Life - The Curse

It's been a few days since I'd left the little village where I was living with Lu Kai.

For what reason? It was to find Wu Dufeng.

The hungover Wu Jing unwillingly admitted that his father was living in an inn outside of the capital city, and I made my way there.

I left Lu Kai a letter. A letter that said I was leaving and to not wait for me. I hope he could live on without me there for awhile.

Knocking on the door on the second floor of a quiet inn, I observed my surroundings to make sure I wasn't followed.

"Who is it?" Wu Dufeng asked without opening.

"It's me. Luo Na Li."

Opening the doors, he looked baffled. "Luo Na Li? What are you doing here?"

"I have to ask you something."

"Come in."

I entered the inn's suite, looking the place up and down. It was like any other inn, dark colored curtains, open and empty. Not like a real home.

"How do you afford to stay here?" I asked.

"The inn doesn't get much business, so I stay at a small price."

"Aren't you curious as to what Wu Jing has been up to? Why don't you two live together?"

"He's a young man exploring the world. I make sure he's aware of my current location as soon as I move. He pays me a visit every now and then."

"I see. Well, it's good to be on the move. I've been thinking that Lu Kai and I have been staying too long in the same place."

"How is he doing? The Star Gem hasn't been causing pain, I hope."

Thoughts of Lu Kai sent another painful wave of tightness in my chest. That night when he drank too much and ended up in a frisky state. Placing a hand on the table in the middle of the room for balance, my other hand strongly gripped the robes over my heart.

"What's wrong?" Wu Dufeng appeared concerned.

"I've been experiencing this pain for some time now. I need you to find out why that is."

"Why is it that when I see you, it's always something like this?"

"Can you just do something about it already?" I hissed.

Pressing down on my shoulder, he made me sit down on the stool next to the table while he sat on the other one. Placing two fingers on my wrist, he listened attentively to the beatings of my heart.

"Strange."

Concerned, I asked, "What?"

"There is a dark energy surrounding your heart as if its feeding and growing."

"Feeding?"

What in the hell?

"I didn't notice this aura before. Has something happened?"

"I--"

I don't know how to answer.

"The pain must be intense." Wu Dufeng's expression writhed uncomfortably.

"Yes, it's terrible. That's why I'm here, so how do I get rid of it?"

"Tell me, how did it trigger?"

"Well— Mmm..."

The thoughts in my mind drew the boyish smile on Lu Kai's face. My heart palpitated faster and skipped beats as though leaping through valleys of distant mountains. The pain struck again.

Observing my twisted face, Wu Dufeng said, "Somehow the aura squeezes the heart..."

"It happens... the pain... when I think of Lu Kai."

"Think of Lu Kai? What kind of thoughts?"

"Mmm. I don't want to say."

"You have to tell me, so I can help you."

Fine, it that's how it has to be.

"Desire."

"Desire?"

"Yes..."

"I'd never-- I-- Hmmm..." Wu Dufeng covered his mouth deep in thought. Trying to hide his smirk, he narrowed his eyebrows and stared at me.

"What?"

He can go die.

"I would have never thought the hardhearted Luo Na Li, previous top disciple of the ruthless Crimson Snow Valley Sect would ever 'desire' a man. Much less a man she once thought was a girl."

Pointing at him, I said, "You! Don't say it like that. Either way, I think the pain may have something to do with the Fidelity Oath I took at Crimson Snow Valley."

"An oath?"

"Once of age, all the female students have to swear their loyalty to Sect Leader Zhao and Crimson Snow Valley. If they betray the Fidelity Oath by having intercourse or falling in love with a man, they will be kicked out. I just never knew that the oath came along with an aftereffect."

Standing, Wu Dufeng concluded, "Therefore, this oath is more of a curse."

"Just what caused Master to be such a bitter bitch? She really cursed her followers... Do you think you can find a way to break it?"

"Not if you want to meet up with Zhao Bao Bai."

That's suicide.

"Out of the question."

"Perhaps it would be best to keep your distance from Lu Kai. I'll look into a way to deal with this. It's not like anything I've seen before."

Stay away from Lu Kai?

"..."

Grinning, Wu Dufeng said, "Why? Can't bear it?"

Glaring at his smug expression, I responded, "I'll be fine."