Chapter 62: Fourth Life - Beginning the Journey

Walking into the Lin's main family hall, I saw Mother and Chun Mei smiled, their eyes lit up brightly like pearls beneath the dark ocean waves. Chun Mei ran to my side, embracing me while Mother held my hand, petting it delicately. Father stood awkwardly still, but the smile on his face told me he was glad to see that I was well.

Chun Mei excitedly jumped up and down as she held my arm. "Rong Xin Jiejie, I'm so glad to see you. Tell me! Does your husband treat you well? Is he nice?"

Innocent Chun Mei. She doesn't know.

Looking into her eyes, they did not reflect the amount of shame emitted from Mother and Father. Chun Mei truly thought that I was now married to a fictional village leader of an imaginary village.

"Rong Xin, your father and I... we failed you," Mother said with a miserably pitiful face.

Mother... if you look at me like that... my anger will seem out of place and turn me into an unfilial daughter.

"No, Mother. I'm fine. Actually, I'm not staying for long."

"You're not?" Chun Mei furrowed her eyebrows.

"Yes, my husband came for a meeting with Village Leader, and we'll be heading back."

"Rong Xin, what do you mean?" My father asked.

"I'm sorry Mother and Father. I didn't visit properly. We're only here on business."

"So where is he? Your husband?" Chun Mei was curious as my fate could have easily been hers.

"I--" 

I couldn't make out the words. How was I going to keep up this facade of being happily married to this made up village leader?

"I'll be back!" 

Leaving the main hall, I encountered a silent Yang Zi Huo leaning in the doorway. 

Was he waiting for me?

"Come with me." Forgetting my manners, I grabbed a hold of his cold hand. Intimately interweaving my fingers with his, my heart reacted with heavy beatings and quick leaps. Yang Zi Huo didn't mind my touch as he followed me into the main hall.

I awkwardly smiled at my family, who were all in awe staring up at Yang Zi Huo.

I said, "Mother, Father, this is my... husband. His name is Yang Zi Huo."

For the first time since I'd met him, Yang Zi Huo's eyes flared up with confusion and instant anger. However, he kept his composure in front of my family while swallowing down his desire to kill me. 

"What? How could it be?" Mother stared at my husband wondering how is it that I could have a husband when a real wedding never ever occurred. Father took a step toward Yang Zi huo, also in a disorganized state. 

"Rong Xin, he's so handsome!" Chun Mei whispered in my ear like a shy little girl. I gave her a halfhearted laughter in agreement. 

Forcing my hand away from his, Yang Zi Huo said, "Greetings. I'll be on my way."

He disappeared out the doors using his powers, almost appearing like a white smoke of lightening. 

Chun Mei excitedly gasped, "Your husband knows martial arts too?!" 

Mother and Father's faces remained puzzled throughout the whole exchange. It was obvious we were playing our roles for Chun Mei. For her to view the world as innocently as she always had.

"Chun Mei, I have to go now. I love you. Be good." I took her into my arms and felt her warmth for the last time. Not wanting me to leave her side, she held onto my fingers before it dropped to my side.

"Father, Mother, thank you for raising me. As you've both chosen this road for me, I will walk it. From now on I will be brave because the person I want to share my life with is there with me. Goodbye."

I rushed out to look for Yang Zi Huo, hoping that he would not be so far away. Mother's calling started to sound like the wavering whispers of a cool breeze. Exiting the village's main entrance, I looked to the east and to the west. Heifang forest couldn't be where he was headed. If he was on his way back to Bleak Night then he had to have gone north.