C3 - The Tale of the Wife And the Concubine That Must be Told

Quan Prefecture was located in Mingnan [1] and was a place abundant with wealth and content citizens. This was also where Sheng Hong had been assigned a governmental post for the past few years. He was to manage the division of salt, food, flood management, irrigation works, as well as tidy up military records and pacify the people.

In the past few years, he had gained a lot of achievements. Even when there had been three shifts in power, he still continued to rise in rank. This was only possible because Sheng Hong knew how to conduct himself with integrity and get along with the local officials. That was also why, when news came that Sheng Daren [2] had been promoted, everyone tried to invite him to banquets, with underlying intentions these past few days. Unable to reject the offers, Sheng Hong had no choice but to face them head on. The matter of preparing the family for travel was entrusted to Madame, Wang shi.

These past few days, the household's servants and housekeepers were bustling around Wang shi's residence in the east courtyard. Wang shi's previously melancholic mood was swept away by the pleasure she found in such hard work. This afternoon, Wang shi roughly arranged some matters and called some personal servants to check on the remainder of the list before going inside the inner side room to speak with Liu Kun's wife.

In the inner room, there was a big couch against the wall. Spread on top of it were a lot of delicate weaves and a thin silk brocade. Sleeping on the weaves and silk were two girls, both around five years old.

Two first class maids were sitting on a low stool, near the couch, gently fanning the two sleeping girls. Upon seeing Wang shi enter the room, they immediately stood up and greeted her. Wang shi waved her hands, signaling to remain silent to avoid disturbing the two girls' afternoon nap. Walking to the couch, she saw a very likeable round and plump girl, looking so lovely and innocent while sleeping. Wang shi couldn't help but relax her brows and turn to look at the other girl. Her features, in stark contrast, were elegant, even if her face was a little too pale. It was quite obvious that she was suffering from a deficiency in energy and blood, resulting in an utterly frail body. The pale girl was wrinkling her brows in her sleep. Wang shi lightly sighed and tucked the two girls in the thin brocade blanket before she took a seat on a rattan chair.

Liu Kun's wife ordered the two maids to go outside and watch the door before walking to stand in front of Wang shi. She searched for a round stool to sit on but halted on Wang shi's invitation to sit down beside her on the rattan chair. Liu Kun's wife declined at first but with Wang shi's continued invitation, she had no choice but to sit down beside her.

"These past few days, Madame has been busy and thanks to that, things are now more or less packed. This morning, a letter from Deng Prefecture arrived saying that the household has been tidied up, only waiting for Master and Madame to move in. I must say, First Master Wei and my family's Master, although cousins [3], are actually closer than blood brothers. I don't know how much money First Master Wei has spent, but the sentiments have been greatly expressed." Liu Kun's wife said with enthusiasm..

"Master Wei's father and my family's late father-in-law [4] were brothers, born to the same mother, and were of a similar age. In the past, they both studied together at Duke Ling Households' private home-school [5]. After graduating, they were both accepted under Cabinet Yang, who, at that time, was still a scholar at the Hanlin Academy. Old Master Uncle Wei [6], during that time, was pampering a concubine and was completely ignorant about the misery that his parents were going through... Old Madam could only watch over her sister-in-law and nephew. Because our Master was a child of a concubine, he wasn't raised by Old Madam and had suffered during that time as well. This caused him and Master Wei to empathise with each other, as fellow sufferers. The two brothers' bond cannot be broken. Although Master Wei has not taken up an official post, he is able to manage the house appropriately. He even managed to increase their wealth without getting attached to money. Now that Master Sheng Hong and my older brother are officials, it will be easier for both of them to look out for each other and his (MW) descendants. That's why Master Wei shouldn't mind lending us this sum of money," Wang shi said, sounding pleased with the thought.