59. Hualan Visiting Sheng Mansion (1)

Minglan observed You Mama indifferently for a few days and found that You Mama knew how to be good in some ways. In the past few days, she devoted herself only to taking care of Minglan's daily life, never trying to find her way to treasures management. However, for some reasons, either because You Mama had been staying in the outer estate for too long or because Concubine Wei was too loose to discipline her at the very beginning, You Mama was domineering sometimes. She beat and abused others almost every day and even swore when she found girl servants doing anything wrong. Everyone, from Danju downwards, was scolded by You Mama except for Cuiwei, who was assigned here by the Old Madam. Ruomei and Lvzhi, both quick tempered, almost fought with her.

Minglan kept silent about all these but just secretly noted down everything. On this day, a young maid was scolded and dragged by the ear by You Mama in the courtyard for a long time due to her laziness and neglect of duty. You Mama chased frantically after the young maid for the beat as she cursed, making the courtyard a scene of turmoil. Minglan, reading in the inner room, said nothing and even cast a disapproving glance to stop Cuiwei when she tried to intervene.

Minglan turned a few pages and didn't ask Xiaotao to call over You Mama until she felt satisfied with her curses. While You Mama lifted the curtain and came into the house, Minglan was sitting on the brick bed, Cuiwei doing the needlework and Danju tidying up the desk. Seeing Minglan's indifferent look, You Mama felt somewhat worried. After a few days of severing, You Mama had known that this Sixth Young Lady was independent and a man of will not to be easily manipulated, so she smiled first. Before You Mama said anything, Minglan turned her head and said, "Xiaotao, go and fetch Mama a cup of hot tea. Mama, please take a seat."

You Mama pulled over a stool and only sat on a corner of it, then she asked with a smile, "What's the matter, my Young Lady?"

Minglan smiled gently and said, "Mama has been serving here for several days with all your heart. However, I treat you as one of us, so I must point it out explicitly that something you did was inappropriate. Please don't be angry with me."

You Mama's heart sank and mouth twitched. "Of course not, please go ahead, Young Lady," she said.

Minglan put down the book, folded her white and delicate hands and said softly and leisurely, "It is blameless to discipline those naughty young maids. But anytime with your outbursts, the courtyard became a scene of turmoil, which attracted too much attention and had a really bad influence."

You Mama found it unacceptable, so she straightened up and retorted, "My Lady, you are too young and softhearted to touch the inside darkness. Although those young maids are kindhearted, they are too lazy and slippery to be restricted or coaxed. We have to be strict with them."

With eyebrows lifting and eyes flashing with a glimmer of anger, Minglan contradicted directly, "I am afraid I can't agree. Indeed I am young, but I'm clear that family ugliness must not be aired. We are of one family, but we take charge of our own duties and affairs. Those young maids are inevitably naughty. They are normally called back and trained in their own rooms. But it seemed that you wanted to let the whole world know it in an extreme loud voice. Wise men can perceive your capability, but others must think that my little courtyard is rather unpeaceful."

You Mama was startled, knowing that Minglan was right. But being criticized by Minglan in front of three young maids, You Mama felt embarrassed and murmured with some grudge, "It's usually the Mamas who educate their ladies, not the opposite. But look at me, within a few days, I've already annoyed my lady."

Minglan heard it and sneered, "Indeed, I shouldn't have preached at Mama. Why don't we tell Old Madam and Fang Mama about this? I'm sure they're qualified to reason with Mama."