C30 - Arguments Between Sisters and the Scheme of Their Dimu

Wang shi got into the hall and sat down in the center seat. Cai Pei immediately put an oval brass foot warmer with five circle rings and two "Fu" ("福" which means blessings) on opposite sides under her feet. And the three concubines came in after Wang shi but could only stand reverently aside. The three Lan sisters also stood up and lowered their head to show respect. Wang shi then casually raised her eyelids to scan all people in the hall, waved her hand and said, "Just sit down. It's too cold now, poke the fire up a bit."

The latter was said to the maid. Then Cai Huan instantly took a pair of tongs with crooked lines and put some fine charcoal into the eight-edged furnace made of cupronickel, on which engraved clouds and dragons. Soon after, the hall was much warmer. Rulan pouted and sat down beside Molan. Minglan knew the etiquette and sat down next to Rulan according to their age. And right in the opposite side of the room sat the three concubines. The seats of the three young ladies were big chairs with brocade covers while those of the three concubines were round stools.

It was the first time for Minglan to see the airs of a 'legitimate wife, which made her immediately think of a leader inspecting the troops, and the only difference was that Wang shi didn't shout that slogan "Hello comrades and thanks for your hard work, comrades!" Minglan, while thinking wildly, observed the concubines sitting in the opposite carefully. Although she hadn't seen Concubine Lin for years, time left little traces on her, face still pretty and moves still enchanting. Concubine Xiang, though without outstanding appearance, was gentle and soft in spirit. And Concubine Ping was a real beauty with a small cherrylike mouth, curved eyebrows and gracile eyes, but somehow seemed frivolous and timid, showing that low-class spirit of hers entirely.

Their origins were: the daughter of an old friend, the maid of Wang shi, woman given as gift by a colleague, and the already dead Concubine Wei who used to be a girl of common birth. And these were basically all the ways to get concubines. Minglan couldn't help ...

 You may read the whole chapter on Flying Lines (click the link below) :D