84. Two Possible Marriages

Minglan concentrated all her mind on drawing the pattern on the paper. The crickets on it was so true to life that their feelers could be seen clearly. Dangju came up to Minglan with a teacup in her hands and started to worry about Minglan at the sight of her working hard. Dangzhu couldn't help but counsel, "Lady, you need a rest, or you will harm your eyes."

Minglan kept drawing, beads of perspiration oozing out on her forehead. "I know that, so I only draw this in the daytime to protect my eyes." After finishing the drawing, Minglan took a long breath of relief and put down the painting brush. "Okay, I've got it done. Now you can cut out the patterns with Yancao."

Dangju put the teacup in Minglan's hands after testing its heat and came closer to see the drawing. "Lady Minglan, you drew the insects well. These small crickets and cicadas are extremely lifelike as if they would jump out of the paper at any time," she praised sincerely.

Xiaotao, who was tidying up clothes in the next small room, heard Dangju's words and immediately put the clothes down to rush out while complaining, "In this case, why don't we stop making sachets and catch some real insects? Lady Minglan, it's all because of your excellent handicraft. If you hadn't made the exquisite sachet for the little Master Quan, they wouldn't have asked you for more. No wonder people say that one who sticks his neck out gets hit first..." She suddenly realized herself misspeak and immediately covered her mouth with both her hands.

Minglan pointed at Xiaotao with her head shaking and sighed. Dangju burst out laughing, but soon she held it back and lectured solemnly, "Xiaotao, you are not a child. How could you talk nonsense? If you were heard by another hostess, you would sure be punished."

Xiaotao lowered her head and apologized, "Sorry, I won't say that again." After that, she walked back to the small room to continue her unfinished duty.

Just then, the bamboo curtain was lifted and the next moment Luzhi walked inside with a smile. Then she stopped and lifted the curtain, waiting for a Mama, who had a round face, to come in first.

"Lady Minglan." The Mama wore a silver-red, double-breasted coat embroidered with flower patterns, beneath it was a long dark green gown of silk. She curtsied to Minglan with a long flat box in her arms. She was Wang shi's maidservant that followed her to Sheng family, and used to be her right-hand maid before Liu Kun's wife came to serve Wang shi. Now she was demoted, probably because she hadn't demonstrated sufficient competency in the struggle against Concubine Lin.

Minglan smiled, "Qian Mama, please have a seat. Luzhi, bring Mama a tea." She turned around and tipped a wink to Dangju, who, upon getting it, immediately walked into the inner room to fetch something.

Qian Mama sat down with a smile, leaning sideways a little toward Minglan, and said, "I have brought several maids who are skilled in making clothes. They will measure the servant girls in your house and make summer and autumn clothes for them."

"Mama, you don't need to come here in person over such a trifle." Minglan pointed at the rose pine nut cakes in front of her and asked Luzhi to hand them to Qian Mama. "I have learnt to make the cake from Fang Mama. To be honest, it needs many ingredients and the cooking process is complicated. I don't like it because it's too sweet and soft, but grandma likes it. Mama, you can have a taste."

Qian Mama picked up a small piece of cake and tasted it, feeling it sweet and delicious. Luzhi hospitably handed a fresh cup of Guapian tea (a type of green tea) to Qian Mama. She took a sip of the tea and felt the aromas lingering in her mouth. "It's surely nice tea," she praised.

"Just take some cakes and tea with you when you leave," Minglan said with tenderness in her voice.

Qian Mama was pleased with that, but she pretended to be sheepish and refused, "It's improper to take them away."