C132. The Last Time (1)

As soon as Sheng Hong returned to Sheng Mansion, Wang shi drew him to the bedroom and told him that Gu Tingye wanted to marry Rulan. As an official, Sheng Hong had the keen eye and knew the situation of Imperial Court inside out. So he had a more intuitive understanding of Gu Tingye's status and power than those women living in inner mansion did. After weighing the advantages and disadvantages of this marriage, the next day he went out and inquired about Gu Tingye. Just as what he had done to Yuan Wenshao that year, he made detailed inquiries about Gu Tingye's characters, birth, family and so on.

A few days later, Sheng Hong told Wang shi that he agreed to this marriage.

When Rulan, who had been in great trepidation in the past few days, heard the news, she flew into a rage. She screamed and smashed half of the ornaments in the room, her hair hanging loose over her shoulders, which scared all her maids. Wang shi came to scold her but Rulan glared at her with red eyes and directly contradicted, "I don't want to marry Gu Tingye. If you like him, you can marry him yourself."

Wang shi trembled with anger and asked Rulan why she was unwilling to marry into the Gu family. Rulan couldn't think of a suitable reason to refuse this marriage. She knew that if she told Wang shi the truth, Wen Yanjing would be put in an awkward situation. Rulan searched her mind for a reason and roared, "...Mother, are you muddle-headed? Gu Tingye is my elder. I used to call him 'Second Uncle'."

Xique, who was on her knees and quietly picking up the pieces of broken porcelains, gave a bitter smile. In the past few days, Rulan had forced Minglan to think of a way to help her refuse this marriage. Minglan dared not openly go against the wishes of Sheng Hong and Wang shi but Rulan had kept pressing her. So, at last she provided Rulan with such an untenable reason to refuse this marriage.

Wang shi exploded with anger, pointed at Rulan and shouted, "Don't talk nonsense! At that time, you were young and ignorant. So you followed others to call him 'Second Uncle'. But you are unrelated to him by blood and he is not your uncle! None of your nonsense! Or I will call your father to teach you a lesson." Wang shi hated Junzhu Pingning to the utmost degree. Because of the relationship between Junzhu Pingning and Gu Tingye, Sheng family's daughters used to call Gu Tingye "Second Uncle". Now the appellation became a thorn in her heart.

Wang shi used to frighten Rulan several times but never took actions. However, this time she acted on what she said. In the evening, Sheng Hong came back to Sheng Mansion and gave Rulan a good scolding.

Rulan was the last daughter Sheng Hong liked because she was overbearing and self-willed. She had been punished often by Sheng Hong in the past. However, she was reluctant to say some honey-sweet words to flatter Sheng Hong. So Rulan feared his father most. Sheng Hong scolded her with a cold expression on his face and shortly afterwards, Rulan began to cry.

"You have read so many books written by saints, but never get any wisdom from them. What you did violates filial obedience and female virtue. Marriages are always arranged by parents. As a girl, you shouldn't be involved in the ...... Welcome to click the external link to read the whole chapter on Flying Lines.