52. The Occupational Quality of an Amateur Eavesdropper (1)

It was already at dusk when Minglan came back to Sheng Mansion in Youyang. He Hongwen left a big pack of herbal medicine-dried tangerine peels for her. Minglan gave half pack of the sweet and cool taste medicine to Pinlan who wasn't in her room and her servant faltered that first young lady was back here, her original family. Minglan at once detected something unusual and hurried back to where Shulan had lived. The moment she entered the inner room, she found Shulan, with traces of tears on her pale withered face, was lying unconscious in bed like an old woman while Pinlan was pacing up and down restlessly in the room clasping her fists. In a hurry, Minglan asked what had happened and Pinlan, biting her teeth, explained the whole story.

It turned out that Sun Zhigao's mistress outside the family was pregnant. Sun's mother and Sun were so overjoyed that they decided to let the mistress move in. Shulan was mild and weak in nature, but her mama, a decisive woman, immediately took Shulan back once she smelled what was going to happen.

In the afternoon, Sun's mother broke into Sheng Mansion, arrogantly commanding Shulan's permission of the lover's moving in. First Old Madam Sheng didn't a bit compromise and gave her only one option: keep the son but not the lover. Sun's mother laughed grimly and, waving her sleeves, left.

Pinlan was so livid that she stormed out and spat out cursing to a withering willow tree for an hour. Minglan didn't knew what to say to persuade her, so she just stood by her side until the sky fell dark. The two returned to the room, low in spirits. Just reaching the door, they heard from inside mournful crying and Li shi's persuasion containing helplessness.

"...After we got married, my mother-in-law has warned me that I mustn't disturb my husband during his learning time. Every month...less than three or five days...criticized me of being incapable, so I allow him to take concubines...but he claimed those were not interesting...What should I do?" Shulan's sobbing and complaining entered into Minglan's ears discontinuously. Pinlan was an innocent girl, only understanding half of it while Minglan understood everything.

Shulan had an ordinary look and weak character. Sun Zhigao, her husband, took pride in being a talented and elegant scholar and looked down upon his wife and other ordinary concubines, so he was easily enticed by a "periphery" woman with both pretty face and some learning.

Minglan gently sighed. This world had always given men more tolerance. This time, Shulan was very likely to suffer.

As expected, a few days later, Sheng Mansion was thrown into a mangled mess by several waves of people. Some were Sun's relatives, coming to intercede for Sun; some others were females from third family, coming to enjoy the scene; more others were reputed old seniors in the county, coming as mediators. Anyway, all of them came with a similar purpose: Asking Shulan to be a general wife and allow the lover move in. Even if the mistress gave birth to a boy, the son had to be raised up under Shulan's name.

Sheng family didn't yield a bit. With time, rumors grew rampant. All criticized Sheng family for having nurtured a jealous and intolerant daughter. Sun Zhigao never showed up to take his wife home and even let the dancer-prostitute move in, treating her as a real wife, either inside and outside the family. Gradually, Li shi couldn't stand this. Only First Old Madam Sheng maintained silent like a rock, never expressing her advice no matter who came to persuade her.

Half a month later, First Old Madam suddenly ordered that she wanted to meet the dancer-prostitute. Sun's mother thought Sheng family finally gave up, so she joyfully took the dancer-prostitute to visit Sheng Mansion the next day. To her surprise, First Old Madam didn't say a word, only examining the dancer-prostitute from the bottom to the top many times. After asking a few questions, she walked inside her room. Sun's mother was sent out before she realized what had happened.