C167. Back to the Sheng Family (3)

During this meal, Old Madam Sheng listened to Minglan babbling about the people in Gu's mansion the whole time. The room was filled with Minglan's happy laughter and cheerful voices. Minglan actually felt sad deep down, knowing that she wouldn't be able to see Old Madam Sheng so often in the future. So she tried her best to pretend that everything was going well by giving a vivid description of how interesting her newly married life was as if there was only happiness in Gu's family.

Old Madam Sheng listened to Minglan with a smile. After they had finished the meal, Mama Fang ordered the maids to clean up the table and leave. Then, she also left and closed the door.

"I have something to ask you, sit there!" Old Madam Sheng put on a stern face. Minglan who had lived with Old Madam Sheng for so many years knew that her grandma was about to say something serious. So after serving the tea to Old Madam Sheng in a hurry, she sat back tamely, waiting for Old Madam Sheng's lecture.

As Old Madam Sheng saw the tiredness hidden under Minglan's pretended smile, she felt herself being in a dilemma. Ever since Old Madam Sheng had heard Mama Cui's words which had been retold by Mama Fang, she had been quite indecisive as to whether she should ask the intimate details about Minglan's married life. Most people would just ignore that. Having filled her mind with thousands of ideas, Old Madam Sheng finally said, "Did he... treat you well?"

Minglan tried very hard to interpret Old Madam Sheng's words in a decent way. With her face turning red, she said in a low voice, "Yes, he treats me well." Which part of our life were you asking?

Old Madam Sheng opened her mouth but then shut it again. Not knowing how to continue the topic, she changed the subject right away, "Who is in charge of the affairs in your mansion?"

Minglan hesitated, "Eh... I'm not clear about that."

Hearing that, Old Madam Sheng seemed to put on a reproachful look in her eyes. Having pondered for a while, she sighed and continued to ask softly, "How are the houses and gardens in your mansion? I heard that place used to be the mansion of a high-ranking official when the last emperor was on the throne and has been abandoned for almost ten years. Do you think it needs to be repaired?"

Minglan answered with a confused look, "Eh... I don't know about that, either." She barely got the chance to walk out of the bedroom and didn't even know what her own mansion looked like.

With eyes wide open in shock, Old Madam Sheng wore a gloomy look again and asked in a worried tone, "Then, do you know how many properties you have in your mansion?" Since Minglan had spent most of her time staying with Gu Tingye, Old Madam Sheng thought that this couple must have talked about something useful!

Minglan said embarrassedly, "I... don't know that either." She didn't need to talk too much with Gu Tingye on the bed since the only two things they had done there were sleeping and doing bed 'sport'.

Seeing Minglan being entirely ignorant about everything, Old Madam Sheng was completely speechless and could only stare at her little granddaughter in a daze. Old Madam Sheng never expected that all the skills and methods she had taught Minglan would be of no use at last. It seemed that her grandson-in-law only needed to be satisfied with his fundamental desire.

Feeling embarrassed beyond words, Minglan thought about what to say in a fluster for a long while. Then she spoke haltingly, "Don't worry, grandma. He really has treated me nice."

Old Madam Sheng, as feeble as she felt, could only sigh deeply.

"... Grandma, I understand what you mean. I'll be careful." Minglan knew that Old Madam Sheng was worried about her. In fact, Minglan knew exactly how troublesome her situation was. It was not that she didn't want to struggle for her life. But she just really hadn't had the time over the past two days.