C122. The Dissolution (1)

Proofread by DragonRider

There were two ways to promote friendship speedily: one was to have a common enemy; the other was to have a common secret.

Since Minglan had been made to listen to Rulan telling the story of her falling love with Wen Yanjing, Rulan became more friendly with her young sister. Rulan often went to House of Clear Dusk and played with Minglan. The two sisters ate together, did needlework together and practiced calligraphy together. Rulan even wanted to sleep with Minglan at night but Minglan refused her firmly.

Minglan strictly warned Rulan not to meet Wen Yanjing in secret; otherwise, she would tell the elders that Rulan was in love with WenYanjing. In Minglan's view, no matter how much Rulan liked Wen Yanjing, she should wait patiently for his proposal. Rulan readily agreed, "You can rest assured. In the next few months, Brother Jing has to prepare for the Autumn Imperial Examination. He has no time to meet me."

"If he has time, you will go to meet him, right?" Minglan never expected that Rulan was completely infatuated with Wen Yanjing.

Rulan blushed scarlet and replied in smug satisfaction, "Of course I will. One day apart seems like three years. I will miss him very much."

There can be a magic about love that defies all explanation. Rulan used to be an ignorant girl who even couldn't recite the Three-Character Classic, but now she could quote a well-known phrase (one day apart seems like three years) from the Book of Songs to convey her feelings. Minglan was a little jealous and immediately teased, "You should pray to Buddha that he can pass the Autumn Imperial Examination this time, or you will have to wait for another three years."

Rulan thought what Minglan said was reasonable, so she devoted herself to participating in the religious activities in the following days. She not only actively accompanied Wang shi to the temples and worshiped the Buddha but also frequently visited Old Madam Sheng's Buddhist Hall. As a result, every time Old Madam Sheng wanted to pray to Buddha alone in the Buddhist Hall, she needed to make a reservation in advance.

A few days after the Autumn Imperial Examination, the imperial court published a list of successful candidates. Not only Changfeng and Li Yu but also three of the five Xiucai who stayed at the bungalows in Sheng Mansion passed the examination. Sheng Hong was pleased that his son and the candidates for his son-in-law all achieved good results in the Autumn Imperial Examination.

Since Concubine Lin had sent been to the village estates, Changfeng had to change his daily routine and lifestyle. Wang shi insisted that they should have some beautiful maids wait upon Changfeng. Sheng Hong suspected that Wang shi harbored malicious intentions. Hai shi believed that no sweet without sweat. Changbai argued that Changfeng should have the good self-control and study consciously. After a discussion, they decided that Changfeng would be paid according to his work. If he wanted more benefits, he should make more progress in his study.

On hearing this news Minglan applauded their decision. Scholar families were wiser than noble families. Punishment was useless for a playboy but he would give in to his weakness. If Jia Zheng forbade Baoyu from getting close to Xiren and Qingwen and meeting Xue Baochai and Lin Daiyu, and had some old ugly female servants attend upon him, Baoyu would study hard and try his best to win an official rank.

Under the pressure, Changfeng had an impetus to study. He got his three beautiful maids back after passing the Autumn Imperial Examination. It was said that he could draw some money from the accountant's office every month if he passed the Spring Imperial Examination. For this reason, Changfeng continued to study hard.

Molan was very glad to hear that Changfeng passed the Autumn Imperial Examination. She returned to Sheng Mansion to show off her brother's achievement and encouraged Changfeng to keep on working hard and make more progress. Wang shi became worried. She and her illegal son bore grudges against each other. Now he became a capable scholar. Would he get in her way in the future?