C149. Prepare to Get Married (2)

Minglan understood what her grandmother meant, but she shook her head and said, "Everyone out there knows about my identity. So I don't need to puff myself up. We still don't know what will happen when I marry into that family. But I'm sure I can live with it even I don't have a huge amount of dowry. But I'm more concerned about you. You are getting old and it'll be better if you can keep more money with yourself, grandma."

Old Madam Sheng was touched by Minglan's words. However, she still said toughly, "I have my own savings. You don't need to worry about me! I only prepared a large amount of dowry for you because you will marry into a family which is way more prestigious than us!"

Thinking of what Hualan had been through in Yuan family, Minglan spoke with a stern look, "Grandma, you have to listen to me. If I am a lucky girl, I won't be worried about being short of money. If I don't get lucky, I will only give all my dowries away no matter how much I have! I think you should save more money for yourself. Your body is not in a good condition, what if... what if the maids don't take good care of you or hurt you by accident. The money will help you by then!"

Welcome to click the external link at the bottom to see all of the updated chapters on Flying Lines.

Those words sounded harsh and even a bit unfilial. Minglan would never utter those things unless there was no other way. Old Madam Sheng understood Minglan's thoughts. So she said in a low voice with tears welling up in the corner of her eyes, "It's OK. They wouldn't dare to treat me without respect!... Also, your eldest sister-in-law knows about the ethics. She is always filial to me. Now I only concern about you, foolish girl..."

With Minglan's eyes also filled with tears, she pretended to be cheerful and said with a smile, "I heard from Xiaotao that there was a popular saying in their village which went, marrying a man, wearing his clothes and eating his dishes. After all, I will marry to a dignitary family, I won't live in a poor and pedantic life!"

Old Madam Sheng burst into laughter when hearing of that. Then she straightened her face and said decidedly, "Fine! Since he has racked his brain to get you, he won't let you starve!"

After that, they had a long conversation. And at last, they finalized that only the manor and the mountain forest would be in the dowry. Also, Old Madam Sheng insisted on presenting Minglan more silvers and a several boxes of precious cloth which were treasured up by her for years.

After all, the dowry was easy to be nailed down since it only included properties. The people who would go with Minglan to Gu family were harder to decide.

When Hualan had got married, she had gone to Yuan family with Caizan who had been sent by Wang shi and Cuichan who had been Old Madam Sheng's favorite maid along with all the inferior servants and maids from the Luxuriant Pavilion. Ten years had passed after that, Caizan had become a concubine and given birth to the eldest illegal son, which made her a threat to Hualan. Meanwhile, Cuichan had married to the most powerful steward in Yuan's manor and become the most reliable maid of Hualan.

Molan was an exception. Neither Wang shi nor Old Madam Sheng had given her any maids. So Molan had only brought the servants and maids from the House of Mountain Moon with her.

Now it was Rulan and Minglan's turn to get married. So Wang shi sent Caipei to Rulan and Caihuan to Minglan, like what she had done with Hualan. Old Madam Sheng sent Cuiping who was the most experienced one to Rulan. As for Minglan, she already had Xiaotao and Danju who had come from the Hall of Peaceful Ages. She also had the four girls who had been taught by Mama Fang. Also, Cuixiu would also come to Gu family with Minglan. Therefore, Old Madam Sheng didn't send anyone else to Minglan.

Caihuan was a beautiful girl who had almond eyes and peach color cheeks. Old Madam Sheng got angry at the first glance of this pretty maid and said resentfully, "What is your mother up to?!"