C25 - Two Ways to Clean Up a Battlefield

Mrs Liu helped Wang shi onto the embroidered silk mattress of her Xiang Fei couch, covering her with a thin blanket, and pushed a gold-threaded python pillow [1] behind her. Following their movements, Rulan took a few steps forward and urgently said, "Mother, won't you say something about this? I..."

Her mother waved her hand listlessly, "I know what you're thinking, but... it's no use. Pingning Junzhu does not think our family is worthy."

Rulan's eyes widened, "How can that be possible? From what I have observed, Junzhu niangniang [2] seemed rather cordial."

Wang shi smiled wryly, gazing at Rulan who still wore a clueless, innocent expression before growing serious, "Think hard about what Junzhu said to your sixth sister. It is time you learn how to use your brains instead of acting rashly out of ignorance."

Standing with her head bowed, Rulan thought for a while and gradually understood. She muttered to herself, "Could it be?" With that understanding came a rush of dejection into her heart.

Mrs Liu could not bear to see the utter disappointment in Wang shi's face, "That Junzhu niangniang's is cunning - deliberately seeking out our Sixth Young Lady and making use of the fact that the Young Lady is a child. Like this, her words would cause no offence, whilst still conveying her intentions effectively."

"But... but..." Rulan tugged on Wang shi's sleeve in desperation, "I...I... Yuanruo gege [3]..."

Wang shi threw off her daughter's hand and spoke sternly, "What do you mean Yuanruo gege? What is his relation to you that gives you the right to call him gege? From now on, you must call him 'Young Master' in accordance with the rules of propriety... No, that's not right! You must never see him again. Mrs Liu, in the future, as long as Qi Heng is visiting, you must prevent Fifth Young Lady from taking a single step out of Weirui Pavillion [4]. Or she shall be caned with a bamboo stick."

Rulan, used to being spoiled and never having seen Wang shi so fierce, was stunned, "M... mother, how can you..."

Wang shi suddenly sat up and with a, expression severe said, "This is my oversight. I have always thought of you as a child, and felt it would be alright to pamper you. I did not consider the fact that you are growing up little by little with each passing day. When Qi Heng arrived yesterday, I heard your words and was moved by them. That was why I allowed you to have your fun. Look at yourself now! What are you wearing? This is not something a proper young lady, a legitimate daughter of a household's Madam, should be dressed. It wouldn't look out of place on one of those despicable women who only know how to vie for men's favour.* You are truly an embarrassment to me! If you refuse to listen, I shall slap you till you die and save myself the shame of having you out in public."

Rulan had never been reprimanded like this before. She was so frightened that her tears kept flowing, and upon hearing those ugly words she collapsed at Wang shi's feet. Through her uncontrollable sobs, a few words could vaguely be discerned, "Why... are you saying this to me..."

Wang shi stared at her daughter whose body was starting to become more womanly, growing up, and knew she could no longer give in to her pleas. Mildly, she said, "Mrs Liu, bring this girl a damp towel to wipe her face... Rulan, don't cry anymore. Come sit down properly and listen to what your mother has to say."

Sniffing hard and still crying pathetically, Rulan leaned against her mother. It seemed as if Wang shi was reminiscing about her maternal home, "All these years, your mother has taken an untold number of wrong turns, and made who knows how many, costly mistakes. Some were the result of schemes meticulously planned by others, others due to my own immaturity. Thinking back, I ought to have treated your grandmother's advice like the priceless treasure that it was. It's a pity that I never took her words to heart, that is why that wench of Linqi Pavillion [5] is still around today. Now you must listen to me."