C141. Side Story: The Note of Me Wanting to Marry a Liar (Gu Tingye's Statement)

Click following external link to read all The Legend of the Concubine's Daughter on Flying Lines.

Maybe Minglan didn't know how many strange characters she had.

I remember that feast in the Marquis Xiangyang's mansion. She chatted with all the other ladies with her gentle, kind and tame look. There was a humming bee flying inside along the tree branch. All the girls screamed in fear and huddled up while waving their handkerchiefs. She observed them with great interest at first. Then she suddenly saw the girl beside her being panicky. So she also put on a scared look on her face right away while jumping to the girls. She shouted and showed a frightened look as if she really was terrified.

I squinted my eyes—— I knew she was pretending.

In fact, there were also some girls who wasn't afraid of the bees. They stood composedly or hid behind others in silence. But Minglan, she was the only one who chose to pretend to be afraid. It seemed that she was afraid of being different and tried her best to be like others.

When the drama actors began to act in a play on the stage, I followed her secretly, wanting to ask her something in a secluded place. However, at the end, I got the chance to watch a better play. My cousin's precious son, the gem of Duke Qi's family, the dream lover of tons of girls in the capital, the second son of Duke Qi, was holding her hand and telling her how much he loved her.

A young Childe who was extremely handsome with adoration on his face and sweet words in his mouth was a fatal attraction to girls. Maybe most of the girls would confess their affections to him immediately. And only a few girls would pretend to be angry with a straight face.

However, Minglan was like none of the them. Her first and the only reaction was being afraid that Qi Heng would bring disaster to her. She threatened, she begged, she even forbade him from telling anyone his love to her. After that, Qi Heng could only leave there miserably.

She seemed to have scruples all the time like a vigilant squirrel which was on guard against the threats that might appear at any time.

Afterwards, I learned that she was the daughter of a concubine.

When I showed up abruptly and asked her about Manniang, she was stunned. Then she told the truth.

I should say that she behaved herself well. She answered my questions precisely with clear words, showing no timid look like other ladies. Also, she seemed like a completely different person from that selfish and cowardly herself when she had confronted Qi Heng. Not only did she smooth things over for the lady from Yu family, she also managed to cool me down.

She seemed... to be a courageous girl.

And that was the first time I sensed vaguely that Manniang was not that innocent as I thought.

It was in the garden of the Guangji Temple that I saw her again. At that time, she threw a mud to her sister. That was a nice and hard attack. I saw her resting her arms on her hip with imposing manner. I had to try very hard to prevent myself from making any sound. I was surprised and also amused by her. And all the gloomy mood due to Manniang and Yanhong's fight disappeared instantly. However, she didn't let me enjoy my moment even for a quarter. After that, I was irritated by her and left immediately.

This little girl really is a jinx. Later on, all the things that she had said came true.

Not long after, I left my hometown. After that, my father passed away, Yanhong died all of a sudden. And I was just tired of hearing Manniang's explanation. So I chose to lead a wandering life alone. I've met a lot of people. Some of them were packmen, some were swordsmen and some were unlucky princes who were treated unfairly. Being assaulted and disdained was a common thing for me. I had seen the fickleness of human nature and of the world. Every time I fell onto the ground, I had to struggle to stand up again by myself.