C11 - New Place, New Boss, New Atmosphere

Minglan was not always this introverted and quiet, thinking back on those times when she was a good child diligently keeping the Five Disciplines and Four Beauties.[1] Whether it was wearing the Red Scarf, entering into the Girl Scouts or into the Communist Youth League, each time she would be ranked first. Although she was never chosen as the class representative but she has always been elected as a representative for various committees. When she was in the publicity committee, she was praised ingeniously for using the blackboard. When she was in charge of the organisation, she led everyone to visit sick teachers. When she was the English Language representative, she led morning reading everyday. When she was in the homework committee, she even successfully organised and streamlined the process to copy homework. Except for that one time in 5th Grade, when she became the cultural recreation committee member and was inexplicably forced to step down halfway. Even then she was still almost always a good student that teachers liked and trusted.

Minglan never thought at this point that her luck would take a dive. When she moved from Wang Shi's place to Old Madame Sheng's place, only Xiaotao who was more foolish than her was willing to follow. Once the other maids heard that they were to follow her to Shou'an Hall, they either called in sick or requested leave, worst still some begged their families to put in a word so they didn't have to follow. The mama that was serving her was already shouting that she was aching all over and could not serve anymore.

"Xiaotao, why are you willing to follow me?" Minglan asked with hope.

"Can I not...... not follow?"

She had a feeling that her world had transformed and that she was in dire straits, emotions of sadness and emptiness rushed head-on. Minglan pulled along Xiaotao's hands, leaving in dejection. She felt, it was not that she was incapable of fighting, but rather like one had been allocated into a clan that practices favouritism, no matter how much effort you expend, at the end of the day you're still a second class citizen. Why was there a need to expend so much effort and make no progress. Sigh! It's probably better to take a better look at her new surroundings.

The central building in Shou'an Hall has five rooms, the one in the middle is called Ming Hall, the rooms at the sides were Shao Rooms and Ci Rooms respectively. There were still several rooms for the maids to reside in, a veranda at the front and a lean-to at the back. This was the typical arrangement of ancient chinese courtyards. Ming Hall is somewhat similar to a modern living room and the Shao and Ci Rooms are either leisure rooms or bedrooms. The Old Madame herself sleeps in the Shao Room on the left and let Minglan settle into the Ci Room on the right. In the middle of the Ci room was a part.i.tion of a pear tree carved fan, therefore Minglan's rooms were also called the Lihua Cabinet.

Mama Fang only started decorating last night and they were plain and simple. Every decorations were in cool hues of pale green, dark green and navy blue. The only warm color was Minglan's bedroom which was a bright apricot yellow.

Once she was settled, one of the Old Madame's maid, Cuiping pa.s.sed a message saying that the Old Madame would like to see Minglan. Thus Minglan obeyed, she saw that the Old Madame had a black thick brocade blanket with eight lucky flowers draped on her shoulders and she was half leaning on the couch. One roll of Buddhist scripture and several sandalwood rosaries were placed on a cloud shaped white jade table with gold thread embedded to the side of her couch.

She saw Minglan and waved her hands hurrying her over. Minglan had paid respect a few times and knew proper etiquette. First, she gave greetings then consciously kept bowed at a forty-five degree angle before the Old Madame, raising her head to wait for instructions. Old Madame Sheng saw her overcautious grownup[2] appearance, smiling she pulled her up to the couch and warmly said "You will be the fourth child I have raised, the first three all do not have any affinity with me, we are still unsure about you? Let us talk first, you need not adhere strictly to etiquette. Whatever you feel like saying, say it, it's even alright if you speak out of turn."