C197. Dine Out, Family Affairs, National Affairs, Hualan, Hacking... (121.4)

Old Madam Yuan never realized that the people of the Sheng family would directly question her. She thought that they would say something nice and give her an out. Right now, she was choked by Minglan's words. She couldn't say yes, but saying no would humiliate herself.

Minglan squinted her eyes slightly and looked at Old Madam Yuan with a fierce look, saying slowly, "Old Madam Yuan, please make yourself clear! Do you want your son to divorce my sister!"

Although Sheng's family was not the most influential family, it was still more powerful than Yuan's family. Old Madam Yuan was well aware of that. If Hualan was divorced by her son, she would be kicked out of Yuan family afterwards. Then Old Madam Yuan turned around in anger and stopped talking.

Aunt Zhang who had sensed the tension came forward to smooth things over, "My lady, you only said those things because you were in anger. My old sister only meant to ask her daughter-in-law to recuperate in Sheng's mansion. It'll good for her health, right?"

"So that is what it is." Minglan chuckled with a scornful look in her eyes, "My mistake."

Then she, having walked over to Rulan, pulled the angry girl to sit and said with a gentle smile, "Madams, please forgive my sister's frank speech. She is the most straightforward girl among us. Never have I seen her hide her feelings."

Minglan had been ennobled as the second class madam and was in the highest status among all the women in the room. The guests only wanted to fawn upon on her and under no circumstances would they question her. A few of the madams even replied, "That's right, that's right.", which made Old Madam Yuan turn away in a huff.

Then Minglan smiled and said, "We can't blame my fifth sister to make a random guess. It is just so coincidental that every time my eldest sister was pregnant, something bad would happen to her. Someone might say, 'What a coincidence!' The others might think Old Madam Yuan has treated my eldest sister harshly on purpose and only biased her own niece! But we all know about Old Madam Yuan, she wouldn't do anything like that!"

That was nonsense! Even if Old Madam Yuan had done those things unintentionally, she should have been more careful this time after Hualan had run into so many accidents during her former pregnancies. How could she still make troubles for Hualan! Right now, with her chest moving up and down, Old Madam Yuan felt her heart being about to explode. But she couldn't say anything. The guests all looked at her with indifferent or ironic look in their eyes, which made her almost faint with anger.

"What an eloquent girl," Old Madam Yuan sneered that bitterly, "How lucky it is to marry a girl from the Sheng family!"

Minglan said smilingly, "I'm flattered. But I was only telling the truth. If I have said any wrong, please don't blame me. Just point out my mistake and I'll correct myself next time!"

With the look on Wang shi's face turning eased, she finally gave vent to her anger. While she was in a better mood, she said loudly, "Old Madam Yuan, you don't need to worry about our family's business. All the ladies of Hualan's generation have already got married! Now the only girl who hasn't been betrothed yet is my chubby granddaughter who was just born dozens of days ago. It'll be a long time before she gets married."

On these words, the whole room burst into laughter. Since the tension had been released, the guests all started to chat and laugh with each other.

Old Madam Yuan looked at Rulan who still had the intention to abuse her, then at Minglan who wore the genial look all the time. One of the two girls was penniless and the other was a smiling tiger. Then she knew that she could never take advantage of the Sheng's girls today. So she just stopped talking. Being in a sulk, Old Madam Sheng even canceled the lunch with everyone else and only complained about her headache and illness. The other guests then bid their farewells seeing Yuan family was not willing to keep them.