C5 - Lord Sheng Hong Wins His Two Battle!!!

The purpose of last night's conversation was to address the matter of Lady Lin's guilt, yet no one knew how the its focus had been diverted such that Lady Lin, who was supposed to be the defendant, was now the plaintiff instead. The case turned from an investigation into Concubine Wei's cause of death to an investigation into a case of the legitimate wife persecuting the concubine.

The change in the course of events was hardly discernible, like an antelope which hangs by its horns in the tree to avoid predators, leaving no trace of its presence, the audience hardly noticed that they were being misdirected. Listening to Lady Lin words, you would know that she wasn't accusing Wang shi of any crimes but hinting something else. Even Yao Yiyi, who was an accustomed expert in court matters, felt like Wang shi has wronged Lady Lin and falsely accused her.

Lady Lin's risky move managed to quickly got its desired effect: Comrade [1] Sheng Hong stopped his punishment. He even went to Concubine Lin's courtyard the very next day to stay for a little while. Concubine Lin dismissed everyone before serving Sheng Hong a Tieguanyin tea in a wucai kiln cup, making sure that it was brewed exactly the way Sheng Hong prefered it.

She looked frail, dressed again in a thin silk outer robe that's white as snow. Supporting her beautiful hair was only a plain silver hairpin, that had a tiny flower made out of white silk. Indeed pitiful in all aspects and delicate like a flower. The extreme anger that was boiling in Sheng Hong's body directly halved upon seeing such appearance.

"Yesterday at Madame's place, I gave you some face. According to your words, are you claiming that you don't have even a bit of responsibility in Concubine Wei's death?" Sheng Hong coldly asked. He was still, after all, considered to be an experienced person in the officialdom and still remembered what he should do.

Concubine Lin's teardrops were glistening as she said, "How could I not know that Master wanted to spare my reputation? Since Master came in and wants to talk alone with this concubine today, then this concubine will simply openly say it -Concubine Wei was originally invited by Madame for Master. But before that, Madame had also given Master Concubine Xiang and Concubine Ping, one after another. For what purpose though? The entire household, from the top to the bottom, understands her purpose: it was because she was wasn't delighted in seeing Master loving me and pitying me."

She continued, "I only have a little power in this household and usually there's no one else I can talk to. If I don't put some capable and reliable people at my side, I'm afraid that others would destroy me. I am not that important, but I don't want my two children; ourson, Feng'er and our daughter, Mo'er, to suffer any hardships. That's why the doors in my place are closed firmly, to keep all of us away from harm. I don't dare to make any contact to protect myself and remain safe and sound. That night, when Concubine Wei had an accident, I indeed had selfish motives and was unwilling to care. But to say that I deliberately want to harm her life, is really venomous slander..."

"Darling Hong, Darling Hong, even though I have thousands of fault, please still remember to take a look at the situation of my son, Feng'er and our daughter, Mo'er. Yesterday, teacher even praised our son, Feng'er for studying well."

Sheng Hong's heart was moved but didn't made any noise. He lifted the teacup and drank a bit.

Concubine Lin slowly moved to his side, resting her head on his shoulders, she lightly complained, "Darling Hong, I am fully aware of your conduct. That time when you and I pledged our love, Master also made an oath to me. An oath saying you wouldn't allow me to be bullied. This is why you bruised the honour of Madame's maiden family and bought me lands and shops, allowing me to properly straighten my back and conduct myself within the household. With these deep thoughts that Darling Hong has for me, how can I not know? If I were to do that cruel and unscrupulous thing, let me be destroyed by the heavens and earth and not let me have a good death."