C10 - The Difference Between Concubine Born Daughters

After Old Madam Sheng finished questioning all three of her granddaughters, she said that she was tired and sent her children and grandchildren back to their own places. Since their elder needed to rest, even if Sheng Hong wanted to say more on behalf of Molan, he had to hold it in and leave.

The moment they arrived back to their room, before they could even take off their coats and wash their faces, Old Madam Sheng's Fang mama suddenly came in. Both Sheng Hong and his wife rushed to invite her into the house. Fang mama was someone of great seniority in the household. She spoke concisely and her words were very clear and straightforward; the Old Madam wanted Minglan.

Once the statement was announced, the emotional difference between the Sheng couple was like the difference between heaven and earth. While Wang shi was so delighted that she could barely wait to burn two incense sticks in gratitude to the deities, Sheng Hong was disappointed. He felt that the Old Madam still couldn't forgive Concubine Lin after all these years.

"Master, the Old Madam has received your filial intentions. Let this old lady here pass her gratitude to you in her place. Madam, I would have to trouble you to help the Sixth Young Lady pack up her things and give me a message when she's finished, I will send over a few people."

Fang mama was her usual efficient self and after saying her piece, she bowed and left.

"What is the Old Madam thinking? Aside from Hua'er, Mo'er is the eldest daughter in our family. Naturally, the eldest should take up responsibility. How can we let a sickly and ignorant child go over?" Sheng Hong spread both his arms and let Wang shi undress him. No matter how much he thought about it, Molan was still a more suitable candidate than Minglan. "Not to mention that for the past few days, Molan has stayed by the Old Madam's side, serving her well. Everyone praises her for her filial piety and thoughtfulness. What is the Old Madam hesitating over?"

Wang shi felt thoroughly invigorated and refreshed. She spoke cheerfully, "It's the Old Madam who is choosing, even if you think someone else is better, her opinion is the only one that matters. I often try to convince Hua'er to wear more brightly colored clothing, but she still prefers pale and simple colors. Oh, husband, in many matters you must consider the other person's feelings. You can't just ignore the Old Madam's opinions and force the matter. The Old Madam will go along with you to preserve your standing in the household, but she won't be pleased. You'll have to let this one go. Does it really matter which child the Old Madam chooses? Aren't they all your daughters? So, just listen to the Old Madam's wishes, that way she'll be happy and you'll be filial, that would be the best of both worlds, wouldn't it? Besides, the Old Madam must have seen that Concubine Wei passed too early and that Ming'er is sickly and a little dumb, hence, her kind heart and generosity led her to wish to take care of Minglan."

Sheng Hong thought that this was a rather more logical explanation and the more he thought about it, the more reasonable it seemed to him. No matter how much he wanted to raise Molan's status, he couldn't force the Old Madam to accept her. However, since he and Concubine Lin were in love, and Molan could be counted as the jewel of their love, he must work hard for this jewel.

The next day, when the Old Madam woke up, Fang mama was already by her side with a porcelain bowl decorated with "longevity" in silver, ready to serve her swallow's nest porridge. It was then that a maid came in from outside to report, "The Master has come."

After that, she lifted the thick cyan curtains to allow Sheng Hong to enter. Old Madam Sheng shot a glance at him and smiled a little, telling Fang mama to put the bowl of porridge down.

"Why are you here so early in the morning? With the weather so chilly today, might as well stay in bed and sleep more." Old Madam Sheng said after Sheng Hong had bowed to her and sat down.