69. Women's Life Is Never Easy

Just after the Spring Festival, servants from the country estate sent words to the Hall of Peaceful Age that Cuiwei's father was dying and that they wished Cuiwei could get married earlier so that the joy of marriage could wash away the omen of death, begging the mercy of Old Madam to relieve Cuiwei of current duty. Cuiwei was born when her parents were quite old and the only one that made her parents concerned since other siblings had forged families already. Considering this, Old Madam approved and ordered Fang Mama to grant thirty taels of silver for her dowry purchase.

Getting the news, Minglan at once rummaged out twenty taels of silver from her own room to add more dowry for Cuiwei who pushed it away, refusing, "My nice lady, I can't take it. You just gave me two pieces of gold and silver jewelries and five bolts of brocade. This is already too much. I remember that when Caizan in Madam's house got married, Madam only granted her twenty taels of silver. I only get 10 taels more because I was originally from Old Madam's house. If you give me more, on the one hand, you'll embarrass Madam, and on the other, how much are you planning to grant other girls when they get married in the future?"

Minglan was touched and knew that Cuiwei thought all in the shoes of her lady, Minglan, and she still tried to insist, "I know your good intention my good sister, but...but for being concerned about me, you should have gotten married last year."

Cuiwei looked around, seeing no one's presence, she gently closed the door and windows, put down the curtain of the minor room, and said, "There is something I wanted to ask you long ago my young lady. Once I leave, you have to promote one to fill the vacant. Those girls are all staring eagerly at it. Do you have someone in your mind?" Minglan thought about this question long ago but she asked back, "What do you think?"

Cuiwei didn't think too long before answering, "In terms of seniority, I'd say Yancao; in terms of capability, it should be Jiu'er; and in terms of exterior and temper, I'd say Ruomei." Since dowry girls would be taken by the husband in the future, Cuiwei frowned a bit when she mentioned Ruomei.

Minglan contemplated for a moment and responded in a low voice, "I'd prefer Luzhi."

Cuiwei was surprised, "Luzhi had a pair of unforgiving lips. Why would you want her?"

Minglan smiled without answering her but asked, "If I promote one, there will be another little girl getting into the house. Recently, You Mama keeps recommending her daughter. What's your opinion?"

Cuiwei thought about it and shook her head, "You Mama is a hot potato and now only suppressed by you, my young lady. If one of her family gets into the house, there will be more troubles. It'd better ask one from Old Madam, Madam, or Young Madam (Hai shi). In this way, on the one hand, you show respect to seniors and on the other, in view of what happened last year, they will send over someone reliable."

Minglan nodded and said seriously, "My good sister, your words make every sense." Then she pushed over the twenty taels of silver on the table toward her and said in a low voice, "In these years, for me, you're both exhausted and offended many others. You must take this. If you want to keep a low profile, just don't let others know and hide it at the bottom of your luggage."

Cuiwei whimpered a little because Minglan didn't like other ladies or lords that would claim their good deeds everywhere for a good fame. She felt her effort and caring wasn't wasted on this earnest and benevolent sixth young lady. Suddenly, she thought of what Fang Mama had indicated that her family could follow to serve when sixth young lady got married in the future. Thinking of this, Cuiwei was quite tempted.

Cuiwei was trained by Fang Mama so the news spread fast. On the next day, Old Madam called Minglan in and asked with a faint smile, "You want to promote the girl Luzhi? How come?"