C19 - Minglan Gets to Know the Family Ritual

Under the dusky light, Concubine Lin's face looked bashful and very gentle. She gracefully and subduedly said "Darling Hong, today this concubine is very happy. First, it is because First Young Lady married well. Secondly is because of our Mo'er. A lot of ladies and madames all praised Mo'er for being easy-mannered and charming. Only... sigh..." She sighed, dragging out her grief.

"Since you are happy, why then are you sighing?" Sheng Hong is tired and wishes very much to sleep.

"This concubine is thinking whether Mo'er would have these kind of fortune like First Young Lady. Although all the young ladies in the household is the same now, just afraid when it is time to matchmake, others will dislike her for not being raised by Madame......" Concubine Lin's voice gradually became low.

Sheng Hong thought of the difficulties when he went to the Wang family to propose marriage and he sighed "At the end of the day, there are differences between legitimate and concubine. But I am around, would not make Mo'er suffer."

Concubine Lin gently said "How does Darling Hong treat us three, mother and child, this concubine is the clearest. However, how can Darling Hong interfere with the affairs of female guests of the official and aristocratic families. Madame has to bring the young ladies out to society. This way, it is also unlikely for Mo'er to be burdened by this petty and low birth mother who is neglected in the inner household and unknown." As she said to the later, her voice became in distress.

Sheng Hong contemplated for a while and said, "Reasonable. I will tell Madame later, next time when interacting with female guests, cannot just bring Rulan and have to bring Mo'er and Ming'er also. If their nature is good, in the future the Sheng family can also have more good marriage."

Concubine Lin's expression turned flirtatious and leant into Sheng Hong's embrace. She tenderly said "Really is my good Darling Hong!" In a turn of an eye and suddenly became sad, appearance in slight distress "Heard from a maid who went out to see the excitement that Young Lady Hua has no less than hundred and twenty-eight pieces of dowry. There is also land and house and many people to accompany her. Really imposing, do not know Mo'er....."

Sheng Hong was originally somewhat muddle-headed but after all he was brainwashed by Governess Kong twice. He became a little guarded towards Concubine Lin's request and he thought and said "If the parents-in-law matter not, I treat the daughters the same. However, Madame took her own dowry to add to Big yatou's. Carefully considering, Mo'er might not have First Little Girl's kind of dowry."

Concubine Lin protested coquettishly "What good character Darling Hong. Since Madame married over, her dowry is also the Sheng family's. The little boys and girls all call Madame Mother, no matter what she also cannot be too biased ah!"

Sheng Hong's mind went cold, his brain started to be sober and unhurriedly said "Biased or not is another thing, only those good-for-nothing man will value and keep thinking of the woman's dowry. That brother-in-law[1]of mine is originally a third-generation official, just because he used the Wang family's dowry, now it is not good for him to speak in front of First Sister-in-law. When I propose the marriage,

I am determined not to touch a single bit of Madame's dowry. It is good enough to totally set it aside for Changbai, in any case, it is for the Sheng family's offspring.

Concubine Lin was worried and sat up from under the blankets "What about Little Boy Feng and Mo'er? Can it be that Darling Hong does not care for them already? Can it be that I being a concubine, they are burdened and suffered hardships in the future?" Having said that and her tears are filled.

Sheng Hong remembered Governess Kong's supporting move and unhurriedly said "You do not have a generous dowry, can it be that it is my fault?"

Concubine Lin choked and looked unbelievably at Sheng Hong. She did not expect that he would say such words.