C123. The Dissolution (2)

Proofread by DragonRider

This time Madam Cao didn't powder her face, revealing her sallow, rough face. When she saw that Minglan didn't seem to respond to her younger sister's request, she came up to Minglan, took her hand and begged, "Good girl, I know you are unhappy. But my daughter, Jinxiu is in a desperate position. It's impossible to marry her to other men because of her unfortunate experience. All I'm hoping for is that Hongwen can take care of her. After all, we are relatives."

Madam Cao said a lot but it all boiled down to one sentence: Cao Jingxiu was a pitiable, obedient girl who couldn't possibly compete with Minglan after marriage. Minglan quietly listened to her without uttering a word. At last, He Hongwen's mother lost patience. Minglan said calmly, "I know I was talking nonsense that day. My grandmother has scolded me after I went back to Sheng Mansion. Although my grandmother once expressed that she wanted to marry me to Brother He, it was just a joke. Don't take it seriously. Whoever Brother He wants to take as his concubine, it has nothing to do with me."

He Hongwen and his mother were stunned. He Hongwen's mother suddenly recalled what Old Madam He had said to her a few days ago, her heart beating wildly as she limply leaned against headboard. He Hongwen panicked and looked at Minglan in discomfiture.

Madam Cao was annoyed by Minglan and said in anger, "That's right! From ancient times the mother-in-law can decide who is to be her daughter-in-law. It's natural for a man to take a concubine. My younger sister is soft-hearted but you seem ungrateful. Do you want to forbid Hongwen from taking a concubine after you marry into He family?"

Minglan listened to her with a smile and slowly said, "Madam Cao, what you said sounds reasonable. I also feel pity for Cousin Cao. But I have some questions to ask you."

Madam Cao waved her hand with an angry look, signaling for her to go on speaking. Minglan continued, "First, if your daughter becomes Brother He's concubine, should his future wife treat you as her aunt or the concubine's mother? If she treats you as the concubine's mother, when she's in good mood, she will allow you to see your daughter and grant you some small ingots of silver. But when she's in bad mood, she can drive you out of He Mansion without giving you any money."

Just as the words fell from her lips, Madam Cao's face changed and He Hongwen's mother was dumbfounded. In ancient times, the status was important to women.

Minglan looked calmly at them with a smile and said, "Second, we all know that concubines should wait upon their masters and madams. To some extent, they are the same as maids. If Cousin Cao becomes Brother He's concubine, should his legal wife treat Cousin Cao as the concubine or the cousin?"

Madam Cao glared at Minglan who wore a relaxed expression on her face, and gnashed the teeth with hatred. "Hongwen will promote my daughter to the senior concubine in the future. With my sister and Hongwen by her side, no one dares to bully her."

Minglan laughed softly but her eyes were like bottomless frozen pools. "Madam Cao, you are quite right. Now I want to talk about the most important problem. Third, anyway, the senior concubine is still a concubine of inferior social status. She can't compete with the legal wife. Brother He can treat her at will and her mother won't come to scold him for giving the cold shoulder to her. But Cousin Cao is different. She has Aunt He on her side, and you will also try your best to protect her...Brother He, your future wife will suffer."

He Hongwen's face turned sour as he fixed his eyes on Minglan who turned away and ignored him. She had said all there was to be said about this matter. The last time she had acted on impulse and talked something inappropriate in the grove of peach trees. Now she didn't want to waste time on persuading him anymore.

Minglan turned to He Hongwen's mother with a straight face and said seriously, ..... Welcome to click below external link to read the whole chapter 123 and more.