C143. Our Sixth Lady Is a Legal Daughter from the Very Beginning (2)

Welcome to click the external link at the bottom to see all of the updated chapters on Flying Lines.

As a person who had worked with the laws, Minglan always believed that only the evidence could talk.

At the moment, Marquis Ningyuan's mansion was in a dispirited situation. After the decreed plaque of the mansion had been taken off, there were still lots of royal censors writing down reports to the emperor about the people of Marquis Ningyuan's mansion forming a clique to hath a sinister plot. And most of the royal censors seemed to say that with certainty. Meanwhile, those nobilities who were in custody had also confessed that Marquis Ningyuan had been involved in the mutiny. Thus the officials of Dali Temple (A government office akin to the Supreme Judicial Court of modern days) proposed that they should hold Marquis Ningyuan in detention even if they didn't plan to take away the title of him yet.

However, Gu Tingyu, the present Marquis Ningyuan had already been beyond recovery. Most of the time, he was unconscious. The emperor then kept all the reports against Marquis Ningyuan's mansion to himself and announced none of them for the sake of Gu Tingye. As a result, Marquis Ningyuan's family was the only noble family who could survive in the precarious situation.

Right now Gu Tingye really had his moment. Not only had he lived in the Commandry of Armies which had been presented by the emperor ever since he had come back to the capital, he also managed to invite General Bo and his wife to be his matchmaker. As thus, the outsiders couldn't help having some guesses about him. Someone even dug out some past stories of Marquis Ningyuan's mansion from years ago. As people started to gossip, the rumor which claimed that Gu Tingye had been bullied before began to spread.

As a matter of fact, Qin shi, as the Old Madam in Gu's mansion had had a good reputation among the noble ladies in the capital. When people talked about her, they always came up with words like gentle, virtuous, kind or modest. Also, she always comforted and compensated the orphans. Even until now, no one had even considered her as a vicious stepmother. What's more, even most of the people felt pity for her except for the ones who wanted to fawn on Gu Tingye.

However, the facts were facts. Qin shi's biological son had lived a prospering life by marrying a decent woman and having a few children. Even if Gu Tingyu had always been sick, he still managed to survive over these years. Meanwhile, Gu Tingye was the one who had to leave home and wander outside for many years. Then the public opinions began to be in Gu Tingye's favor. However, what on earth was the truth? Thinking of that, Minglan raised her head and looked at the roof. Then she came to a conclusion that it must be a complicated thing.

Perhaps God had heard Minglan's thought. After a few days, Gu Tingye sent someone to deliver the letter which stated that Old Madam Qin would come over to Sheng's mansion. Hearing that news, Minglan was stunned. After Old Madam Sheng had been in silence for a while, she sighed, "That's good. No matter what have happened before, we still need to make sure everything's appropriate for your wedding." Then she paused and added, "Gu... he is thoughtful in this..."

Minglan didn't say anything but she knew what her grandma had meant.

According to the normal wedding process, the bridegroom's parents should take charge of visiting the bride's family and presenting the betrothal presents. Any changes in that would look bad to others after all. Qin shi had wanted to control Gu Tingye's marriage and had been rejected by him without mercy, so she didn't dare to interfere with his personal matters anymore. Now that Gu Tingye advanced to her and asked her to help him with his wedding, Qin shi was more than willing to accept this request.

She went to Sheng's mansion in a carriage with green satin covered and a dare red dome. And it didn't take her too long to get there.

The second day, Minglan was lying on the bed after she had overeaten. As she just managed to embroider two water plants on a red brocade mandarin duck pillowcase, Cuiping rushed in and reported that Old Madam Qin had already arrived and was having a conversation in the Hall of Peaceful Ages.