57. Reunion

After nearly two months away from home, Minglan suddenly felt a surge of hotness around her eyes, finding herself already regard this family as her own since the time she didn't noticed. Sheng Hong grew three wisps, longer or shorter, of goatee, which was said to be the most popular style among officials in the capital. Wang shi had a circle of blisters that even couldn't be concealed by foundations around her mouth resulted from the exhaustion of preparing Changbai's wedding.

"Old Madam, if you don't come back home, I'm about to throw myself into river. So many domestic or public things to deal with!" Wang shi said while holding Old Madam's arms, more intimate than ever before.

This time Old Master Hai seized a position out of the capital, so they decided to hold the wedding ceremony before the Spring Festival for fear of long-distance bride-sending in the future. Wang shi had been fully occupied by settling down all family members in the capital and at the same time preparing the wedding ceremony, almost working her head off.

Although Old Master Hai, teacher of two emperors, had retired, he enjoyed great reputation among noble families. The marriage of Hai family's daughter attracted nearly half of well-known scholar officials, and their wives and children were all wealthy upper class speaking posh language.

"Your grand mansion is really a place of scholarly elegance. Look at this Picture of Playing Guqin by Lin Anzhi. What ingenious design to demonstrate form through spirit, a perfect demonstration of Gu Kaizhi's style." Wife of an official of Imperial Academy commented genteelly on the picture on the wall.

"A nice picture it is, yet the words are a bit solemn, suppressing the ethereal touch. Only by the brushwork of Artist Tanwei could the beauty of integration between Gu and Lu be achieved. Madam Sheng, what do you think?" Wife of a scholar smiled after asking and the two cast their eyes onto Wang shi simultaneously.

T/L: Both Gu Kaizhi and Lu Tanwei were celebrated painters of ancient China.

Wang shi put on a face like this=_=...... She faked some laughter and quickly changed to another topic.

Who could tell her what they just said?

The chief ignitor of Wang shi's embarrassment, Changbai, looked emotionless as usual. He pulled over Minglan against himself to check Minglan's height and said without inconspicuous expression, "Still shorter than I am."—Were you selling cloth to measure me like this?

Changfeng failed again in this year's autumn examination but he made a few friends in the capital to write poem and essays together. Lately, he was reputed as Childe Jiafeng who held a folding fan in his hand regardless of the cold weather. Changdong changed most, getting much taller like a sprout shooting from branches, "Sixth elder sister, I've kept an eye on your staff; even the case covers aren't a bit scraped." Changdong said in a hurry.

"Good job, Changdong. Later, come and get your gifts in my place; I've reserved some for Concubine Xiang." Minglan whispered to him.

The nine-year-old Changdong's little face was red and he seemed to be shy, "Thank you, sister. But mom asked me to tell you not to prepare any gifts as old madam already did."

Minglan bowed down to his level and whispered, "They are great apparel fabrics our aunt gave me. You're getting taller, so let your mom make you some new clothes so that you'll look decent when attending school in the future. Don't forget we're here in the capital."

Changdong was grateful and thanked Minglan in a low voice, his head lowering.

Minglan was clear that only on monthly allowance, Molan and Changsong couldn't be dressed up so luxuriously. Everyone knew this expect for Sheng Hong, a master who never paid attention to trifles.