C6 - An Auspicious Family

When comrade [1] Sheng Hong took up his new position, a whole new environment and atmosphere came with the new term of service.

Now that they were in Deng Prefecture, he intended to build a positive image for his family, providing a good example of a harmonious family with affectionate parents and filial children. This would be his first contribution to this province, setting the foundations for developing it into a fine society.

And so, upon successfully being installed into his new office, he chose the perfect day when the sun was shining brightly to bring his wife, Wang shi, his three sons, four daughters and a few maids before Old Madam Sheng to pay their respects.

Once they were in Hall of Peaceful Ages, Sheng Hong and Wang shi first greeted the Old Madam before they each sat on the square stools on either side of her luohan couch. After that, the servants led the children to pay their respect in a specific order. First, it was the three legitimate children, then the four concubine-born children - the concubines were not allowed to come along.

When Minglan, that is, little Yao Yiyi woke up first thing in the morning, she was still muddle-headed. She hadn't even eaten her breakfast yet when she was suddenly carried out of the room by a servant girl who was about fourteen or fifteen years old, telling her that it was time to pay respect.

She was the second to the last person at the back of the line, and it was only when she made a kowtow did she became fully awake as she stammered, "Paying respects to grandmother."

Add to the fact that she hadn't talked for a while now and that she was afraid of saying something wrong, when Minglan opened her mouth, her words were weak and it came out rather like a mumble and attracted a soft sneer.

When Minglan turned her head to look at the person who sneered, she saw Young Lady Rulan slightly covering her mouth while standing at the side. Beside her stood a pretty and delicate young lady that seemed to be slightly older than her, Minglan guessed that she was the fourth child, Young Lady Molan.

In Young Lady Molan's hair was a pair of snowy white jade hairpin. She was dressed in a cloth that was made out of muslin engraved with patterns of a delicate lake. Her stance was according to the rules, her head was bent gently, yet respectful.

Sheng Hong faintly knitted his brows and looked at Wang shi. She then, immediately glared at the mama [2] beside Rulan, that mama then lowered her head in terror.

Looking at both Rulan and Molan, Old Madam Sheng sighed in her heart. Then, when she looked at the dull-witted Minglan, who was being laughed by others yet remained ignorant about it as she foolishly stood in the midst with a confused and bewildered look, she couldn't help but drink a mouthful of tea, not allowing any emotions to show on her face. She continued to lower her head as she waited till the youngest child, Sheng Changdong, to finish giving his respects before she said, "I'm already accustomed to the tranquility and peace, hence, I do not enjoy the noise that comes with the crowds. We are all one family, there's no need to stand on ceremony. As usual, you can pay your respects every ten days."

Wang shi's powdered face was flushing, which might be because she had a good rest last night. "What is Old Madam talking about? It's the duty of the younger generation to show their filial piety before you. Those past years, I wasn't mature enough and have neglected my duty. A while ago, I was scolded by Master and hence, this daughter-in-law has learned her mistakes. Hope that you'll forgive this daughter-in-law's stupidity and don't hold it against me. This daughter-in-law will apologise here to you."

While saying so, she stood up and knelt before Old Madam Sheng. Old Madam Sheng glanced at Sheng Hong, who then knelt as well saying, "Mother, don't just mention these greetings in the morning and evening, even if it's to carry and serve you tea daily, it's all her duty. If Mother doesn't allow, then this son can only treat it as that you're still angry with your daughter-in-law. It's the fault of this son that the management of the house is not strict. This son will even personally go before father's coffin to accept any punishment."