C124. The Triumphant Return (1)

On the way back to Sheng Mansion, Minglan sat quietly and felt herself caught on the horns of a dilemma. It seemed as if she had fallen into a mire and would be suffocated to death if she struggled randomly. She burned with anger in her chest but her extremities grew cold and her mind went blank. After visiting He family, she reached the point of exhaustion. Suddenly, tears welled up in her eyes and streamed down her beautiful face. Old Madam Sheng sitting beside her looked at her quietly with loving eyes, reached out and gently stroked her hair.

Minglan couldn't hold back her grievance anymore. She leaned on her grandmother's arm and buried her head in Old Madam Sheng's sleeve which was full of the fragrance of sandalwood, trembling and crying quietly.

"Minglan, I know your feelings." Old Madam Sheng held Minglan in her arms and said slowly, "But the marriage will be blessed only if both families are consensual. A forced marriage won't come to a good end. You are unable to convince a muddle-headed person by argument."

Every girl in the world wanted to marry a man she loved and live together till old and grey. Every morning her husband would paint her brows and help her make up her face, and they would lead a harmonious and happy life. However, few girls had their wish fulfilled. Most of the couples in the world treated each other with the respect due to guest, and only a few couples were closely attached to each other. Minglan was always clever and sensible but this time she was obsessed with He Hongwen's promise and strayed into difficult territory.

Old Madam Sheng sighed and hoped that Minglan could sort herself out.

At night, the wind blew hard and the rain came down in sheets. Minglan lay sideways on the bed and stared out of the window. The rain fell onto the roof, streamed down the windowsill and permeated the soil. Gradually, the rain stopped and the bright moon appeared in the night sky, pouring down its silvery light which reflected off the drops of rain hanging on the leaves, creating a singular luminescence. Minglan kept her eyes open and had a sleepless night.

The next morning, Minglan got up early and went to Hall of Peaceful Ages. At the sight of Old Madam Sheng, Minglan knelt down, her eyes red from lack of sleep last night.

"I have done many stupid things these days. Grandma, I'm sorry to trouble you a lot and make you lose face. It's all my fault. You can punish me." Minglan respectfully made a kowtow to Old Madam with a pale face. "The children's marriage should be decided by their elders. Grandma, from now on you can take full charge of my marriage and I won't intervene in your decision.... Click the external link below to read the whole chapter 142 and more on Flying Lines.