C9 - Willing To, Unwilling To, Willing to

"Caihuan, quickly tell Eldest Young Miss to stop dawdling. Master is already waiting." Wang shi stood before a full sized copper dressing mirror, turning to let two young maids make adjustments to her clothing. She wore a vermillion outer coat with silver and gold lining its lapels, and in her hair was a beeswax buyao with a gold filigree inlay.

"Mother stop hurrying me, I'm here!" Accompanying the sound of laughter was the sight of Hualan pushing the curtains aside and entering the room. In her hair was a hairpin the shape of a magpie on a plum blossom branch, set with a rubies as red as her mother's outer coat. The rose gold and red brocade of her mouse furred coat cast a rosy tint over her features, making her look bright and refreshing.

The Hairpin

The hairpin with a magpie on a plum blossom branch

"Mother, I just saw the mama who serves little Minglan rushing into her room. Could it be that you intend to bring her along as well? She ought to be excused since she is not feeling well; she even went to rest right after dinner, and might even be taking a nap right now."

"Resting? What resting? She must come with us today," Wang shi said coldly.

Hualan glanced at Wang shi before lowering her head and quietly dismissed the two young maids. It was only then did she took a step forward to Wang shi's side and asked tentatively, "Mother, is this because of Old Madam's offer to take care of the girls?"

As expected, Wang shi huffed coldly, "Your father is a calculative one. He thinks he can get away with it so long as I remain unaware of his intentions! After keeping that sly fox for less than two days, he's already thinking of ways to help her rise in status! I remained silent at first because I thought that since the Old Madam has been displeased with that woman for all these years, she would surely not be willing to take care of her daughter. Who knew... hmph! Truly dragons beget dragons and phoenixes beget phoenixes That good little fourth sister of yours has been sticking by the Old Madam's side, serving her tea and bringing her water, all humble and obedient. How carefully she behaves and demure she speaks, all to win the pleasure of others! Now, all within the Hall of Peaceful Age have been praising her to the high heavens these past few days. They say she is filial and sensible, that she is Old Madam's most filial granddaughter. I believe your father will be urging the Old Madam to make her decision tonight."

Hualan's expression turned serious, "Therefore, Mother plans to push Minglan out so that the Old Madam will take care of her?"

"I'll give that advantage to anyone except for that sly fox!" Wang shi gritted her teeth.

After pondering this for a moment, Hualan raised her voice and called out, "Cai Pei, come in!"

A little maid who wore a sky blue dress entered and bowed, "Miss, what are your orders?"

"Go and tell Mama Liu to get Miss Rulan ready. In a short while, we shall all go and pay Old Madam a visit to see if she has recovered from her illness." As Hualan spoke, Wang shi's face tightened while Cai Pei exited the room.

Wang shi quickly asked, "Why do you want Rulan to visit her?"

"Mother knows what I want to do?" Hualan said quietly.

Wang shi stared at her daughter for a moment before sighing lightly, "I know that Minglan isn't useful for this, but but how can I bear to let Rulan go? Her personality has been used to the spoiled lifestyle I've given her, and I haven't even trained her yet. How can she be sent to bear the hardships that come with being by the Old Madam's side?"

Hualan secretly bit her lips, and went up to whisper into Madam Wang's ear, "Do you really want to see that woman achieve her goal?"

Wang shi gritted her teeth. Hualan noticed her mother wavering, and said, "Mother, even if we insist on pushing Minglan up to the task, a single sentence from Father would be enough to put Minglan back. What if he said, 'We're only sending a girl to raise for Old Madam so that she won't be lonely, if we send over a troublesome child then we would be tiring the Old Madam instead. How would the Madam respond? It'll only work if we send Rulan over. First, if Madam sends your own daughter for the Old Madam to raise, you'll give yourself a good image of a virtuous and filial wife in front of Father. Second, Rulan's personality is spoiled, she can improve herself under the care of Old Madam. Third, if Old Madam ends up raising Molan, then she might become close to Concubine Lin again, but if she raises Rulan she'll be closer to you instead. We're killing three birds with one stone."