C179. Household Chores for a Madam (114.7)

Although Minglan had shown a smile on her face as a friendly gesture, she still felt that it was necessary to strike this old madam one more time. Otherwise her afternoon nap might be interrupted again. With that in mind, she took out the stack of papers while saying with a smile, "Fifth Aunt, since you are already here, I would appreciate your help to clear up my confusion."

Seeing Minglan changing the subject, Fifth Old Madam let out a sigh of relief and said, "Go ahead."

Minglan pointed at the person on the side while saying in a soft voice as before with a smile on her face, "Ever since this Mama Diao has entered Marquis Ningyuan's mansion with you, she has worked in five different positions. She worked as the kitchen purchaser for three months, the make-up buyer for two months, the keeper of the woods in the back garden for half a year, the night-watch Mama for four months, and the Mama who disciplined the new maids for five months. I found that quite strange. Why Mama Diao failed to work in one single position for a full year?"

The profits which Mama Diao had been able to earn from each position had dropped from a large penny to zero.

Hearing Minglan's words, Mama Diao almost knelt down on the ground. Fifth Old Madam, with her face turning purple black, also wore an awkward expression on her face. She gave a few coughs, not knowing what to say. Then she turned around to look at her two daughters-in-law.

Second Madam Di, having sensed the awkward situation, said in a hurry, "Sister-in-law, there are things you don't know. Mama Diao has suffered hardships when she served my mother-in-law. So her physical condition... is not that good. My mother-in-law showed solicitude to her..." Now Second Madam Di couldn't even continue her own words. Because if things were just like what she had said, why had Fifth Old Madam sent a servant who had been ill to Gu Tingye and Minglan? Had Fifth Old Madam intended to send help or trouble?

However, Minglan nodded, seeming to be convinced, "So that's what it is! Luckily I have asked just now. If I haven't, I would make Mama Diao's condition be worsened by asking her to do the difficult work!"

Mama Diao who got worried right away chipped in at once, "Second Madam, please let me say a word! I did have suffered from illness in earlier years. But I have already made a full recovery over these years!"

Minglan waved her hands generously and then pointed to the words on the paper while saying with a smile, "Mama, take it easy. I know you are a loyal one. However, I see in those papers that you have been ill over dozens of years and only got recovered two years ago. I think it'll be better for you to rest a bit longer. I don't want outsiders to say that Gu family doesn't show sympathy for their servants!"

Mama Diao only felt herself having a Coptis in her mouth with sweats all over her forehead. The other three servants all glanced at Minglan secretly. They finally realized that this young madam really was a tough person. After that, they couldn't help but fear their new madam.

With that tender and modest look on Minglan's face, she said in a super kind tone, "See? Fifth Aunt, the questions are really necessary, right?"

Though Fifth Old Madam was filled up with pent up anger, she still couldn't say a word. Then she nodded with difficulty.

With a beaming smile on Minglan's face, she turned around and fixed her eyes on Mama Lai. The latter who got quite nervous under Minglan's gaze could only say in a trembling voice, "Second Madam, what is your order?"

Minglan held the teacup while fiddling with the tea cup lid leisurely. "I really had no intention to let Fifth Aunt be angry at me today. I just felt so wronged. It's not like I have beat or scolded anyone of you. But Fifth Old Madam still came to criticize me because I have asked you a few questions. She has even accused me of mistrusting Marquis Ningyuan's mansion. Alas... It seems that you are all too exalted to work for me. If anything happens to you in the future and someone comes to speak out for you, I will never be able to handle the family affairs." Minglan said as she gazed at Mama Lai with her two sharp eyes.