C193. Regulating the Family, He Family's Medical Books (120.6)

There were five people in the room. Old Madam He was sitting upright in the middle with two reliable Mamas in charge standing by her sides. Madam He and Cao Jinxiu were kneeling on the ground with tears covering their faces.

"Mother, I'm begging you!" Madam He cried and said, "Punish me as you wish if you think I have done anything wrong! But please don't treat Jinxiu like this!"

"How dare I punish you?" Old Madam He said that with coldness on her face, "You are Hongwen's mother, a woman of her word. No matter whom you wanted Hongwen to marry, I never stood in your way. But since Concubine Cao has already married into our family, I do have the right to discipline her. All right, Concubine Cao, stop being in a trance. Go back right away to pack up your stuff. I want you to go back to White Stone Pond with me after a few days!"

Cao Jingxiu's face turned deadly pale. She never thought things would become like this. Then she curled up her body and pleaded, "No, no, Old Madam, please, I can't bear leaving my aunt. My cousin is not here, I should stay to look after her!"

Old Madam He replied with a scornful look, "That you don't need to worry about. Your cousin goes on long journeys all the year round and I don't see your aunt couldn't live without him. Even if you are more important to her than her son, I think she can still survive without you!"

Madam He felt the voice extremely indifferent. As she raised her head and saw the firm expression in Old Madam He's eyes and the anger on her face, Madam He finally realized how much her mother-in-law detested her now even though they had got along with each other for twenty years. Madam He couldn't help slumping down on the ground. However, no one came forward to support her while Cao Jinxiu only cried bitterly and loudly.

Old Madam He looked at them coldly, saying, "I'll be clear to you today, nothing will stop me from bringing Concubine Cao with me. She has already destroyed a good marriage of Hongwen. I cannot let her destroy Hongwen's whole life! I have already picked a girl for Hongwen. She's also from a medical family. Although her family is not so prestigious, I still feel satisfied with this girl. She's capable, resolute and also knows how to regulate a family. Her father has passed away not long ago, so she is still observing mourning right now. I have calculated the days. After one year when Hongwen comes back, they can get married then."

Cao Jinxiu who was stricken by grief looked at Old Madam He, not willing to believe what she had just heard, "You, you have found another girl for my cousin?" So quickly?!

"That's right." Old Madam He looked at her in disgust, "So, I can't let you stay here to trouble Hongwen and his wife and bring damages to He family."

"No, I won't, I won't trouble them!" Cao Jinxiu came back to her sense right away and kept kowtowing, "I'll serve my cousin and his wife with all my heart! I'll treat his wife like my sister!"

Madam He also entreated, "Mother, you have heard Jinxiu's words, please..."

"I don't trust her!" Old Madam He said definitely, "I don't trust either of you!"

Cao Jinxiu and Madam He looked at Old Madam He in terror. Then Old Madam He spoke slowly, "I remembered clearly that when Concubine Cao married into our family, the people of Cao family have sworn that they would never ask for help from us. But it has only been a few months--" Old Madam He stared at Madam He fiercely, saying, "Tell me, how many silvers have you given to Cao family ever since then? Huh! You think I wouldn't know that? The people of Cao family have written letters to Concubine Cao to ask for help. Then you just gave the silvers to Concubine Cao. After that, Cao family would receive that money from Concubine Cao. How clever you are to find loopholes in my words!"

Madam He had already acknowledged the smartness of her mother-in-law, so she didn't dare to argue for herself. Then she only wept and said, "She's my sister after all, I cannot let her starve to death! Mother, I know you are a kind-hearted woman. Please pity them..."