Chapter 68: Fourth Life - When You Loved Another II

Ming Yan was not used to the informal ways of Bleak Night. Compared to Invigorating Essence, Bleak Night was like a camp with barbaric-like culture. However, she promised herself to stay and watch over Yang Zi Huo. After all, she did not find him to be so bad. He was rather kind.

Kind? Now Sect Leader was a generous leader and upright person, but I have never once seen him do something especially kind for someone. Never had I ever witnessed such a fascination about a woman either.

Yang Zi Huo wanted to test Ming Yan's authenticity. Was she really a good person as she appeared? Or someone with malicious thoughts?

Why was he drawn to her? He couldn't find the answer himself. The more time he spent with her, the more thoughts of her invaded his mind. Like a gravitational pull kept him locked in orbit.

Like a fly on the wall, I observed Sect Leader on his bed with Ming Yan feeding him soup.

Sect Leader obediently accepted the spoonful of warm soup into his mouth as Ming Yan placed it near. The two acted like a newly wedded couple as a dedicated wife caring for her sick husband.

"You've gained a lot of strength back from not overworking your body. You're even eating a lot more now!" Ming Yan teased.

"Does that mean you're going to leave?" Yang Zi Huo's sorrowful voice caused Ming Yan's face to become sullen.

"I mean... I was only going to stay until you got better, and now it looks like you've fully recovered."

"What if I said I want you to stay?

Ming Yan stood up from the bed, the bowl of soup fell to the ground spilling out into a small puddle.

"Ming Yan, listen to me--"

"No. I can't be with you."

"What?" Yang Zi Huo's heart felt like a sword had split it in half.

With glistening eyes, Ming Yan said, "You know that Wei Long and I are to be married."

Yang Zi Huo's heartbreak transpired into fury.

"Do you really love him? Do you even know what kind of person he is?"

"Wei Long has always been a good person. You're the one who turned him bad... You killed his father!"

Yang Zi Huo stood, angrily staring down at Ming Yan.

"Their roots are disgustingly corrupted down to every last one. Ming Yan, they have caused so much suffering to the people all for their own benefit."

"Then what about you? How does inciting war with the Immortal Sects help the people that are suffering? Will the end of the Immortal Sects undo all the wrong that they have done?"

Taking a step toward Ming Yan, Yang Zi Huo's menacing look was terrifying.

"I will to corner the Immortal Sect Leaders and all their followers and watch them beg for mercy as I kill them with my demonic Blue Flames."

Shaking her head, Ming Yan cried, "They were right all along. You are a demon who will not stop your thirst for bloodshed. Just admit that you're fighting against the Immortal Sects because of your desire to have the title of Jiangu Ruler. Using your followers to kill and be killed, you're not any better, Yang Zi Huo! I shouldn't have come here. I shouldn't have become your friend. You're never going to change, and I wished I'd never saved you that day in the tomb."

~~~

"And that was how it came to an end," Gu Yi summarized.

"Well, where is Ming Yan now? Did she ever love Master? Does Master still love her?"

"I've told you the story of why you should never mention her name. That's all I'm telling you. Go to bed. You have to wake up early tomorrow."

"Gu Yi..."

"Go now."

"Fine."

I lied awake that night imagining the love story between Ming Yan and Master. My heart ached with jealousy and agony. Master was capable of loving, he wasn't a demon without a heart. But the person in his eyes would never be me or anyone, only Ming Yan. The beautiful and intelligent Ming Yan who was brave and bright. Only she could melt Master's heart. I never really stood a chance, did I?