The Not-So-Disastrous Birthday Party (Luke & Ruby)

"Do kids still like petting zoos?" Luke was curled up on Ashton's couch, staring at his laptop with narrowed eyes. Ashton-who had let Luke use his internet-sat at the kitchen table highlighting notes in one of his textbooks. "Or is that lame?"

"You're asking the wrong person, mate." Ashton muttered, glaring down at the words that didn't make any sense to him whatsoever. "All I can tell you is that for my third birthday, they smashed my face into the cake." 

Luke looked up. "Should I do that?"

"Oh yeah, traumatize the kid, that's a good surprise." Ashton shoved his books to the side. He'd get back to them eventually. The test was still a week away. "How about the theme park? Or the pool? Somewhere other than your apartment. That way you can fit her whole gymnastics class in one place." Ruby had been in the class for almost a year now and had made some good friends. There were enough for her to not be overwhelmed but also enough to overcrowd their little apartment.

Luke chewed on his bottom lip in thought. "So a petting zoo is a terrible idea?"

"You're really persistent on this petting zoo." Ashton stated in a flat tone, going to the fridge for something to drink. 

"There's a baby elephant!" Luke cried out, pointing at the screen. "You can feed him and ride him!" 

"Correction: the kids can feed and ride him. The parents have to be actual adults and make sure the thing doesn't crush anyone." Ashton turned around to look at Luke. "You're way too tall to ride a baby elephant anyway."

Luke grumbled and slumped down further into the couch. "Well a petting zoo sounds lame anyway."

"Right."

Luke settled on the pool. Ruby had gotten much more excited about swimming than riding rollercoaster, so the decision had been easy to make. The day of her birthday seemed to come in slow motion, much to Ruby's annoyance. She grew anxious with each day that passed. Not just because she was excited, but also because of the constant storms that kept passing through. 

On the day of her birthday, it rained like it had never rained before. There were flash flood warnings throughout the city, and most of the guests called in and cancelled. No one was willing to risk driving in the storm.

Ruby sat in her new swimsuit, staring out the window sadly. Luke sat at the table with his face pressed against the surface, banging his head every time Ruby sighed. 

"I heard someone's having a party up here!" came Michael's booming voice from the entryway. Ruby squealed and zoomed down the hall to greet him. Only to start giggling as she welcomed into the arms of not only Michael, but Ashton and Calum too. They filled the apartment with loud voices and many wishes of a happy birthday for Ruby. Despite being in a bad mood just seconds before, Ruby wore the biggest smile ever now.

In each of the guys' arms were massive stuffed animals of all different kinds. Ashton set an elephant on the ground and smiled at her.

"We brought you your very own petting zoo!" he announced, looking rightfully proud of himself. "You can even ride this one!"

"I love petting zoos!" Ruby exclaimed, jumping up and down and clapping her hands. She giggled as Ashton lifted her onto the back of the elephant and began pushing it around the living room. 

Luke sat there for a moment in disbelief. 

"Anytime you wanna take over, just let me know." Ashton called as they were going around the kitchen island on their fourth round. Michael and Calum were busy getting something set up in the living room, so Luke had no excuse as to not get up and help. 

He and Ashton took turns for a few more minutes before Calum and Michael showed up dressed like Steve Irwin.

"Were the shorts really necessary?" Luke groaned, feeling embarrassed for them. They both ignored him and put on their best imitations of the Crocodile Hunter just for Ruby. They went through the forest (which was the living room with a mass of green streamers hanging everywhere) and hunted for a lion, tiger and bear (oh my! said Michael at every opportunity that he could).

By the time that they were down fighting off the bear (helped by Ashton) Ruby was not only starving but exhausted. She got about halfway through her cake before falling asleep (her face smashed into the cake all on it's own much to Ashton's horror).

"This wasn't terrible." Luke said, joining the rest of them in the living room after cleaning up Ruby and putting her to bed for a nap. 

"You're welcome." The three of them said in unison.