Luke & Ruby

It was a teacher that had suggested getting Ruby tested. It was a teacher that had pointed out she was having trouble reading. If it wasn't for that teacher, Luke could've lived blissfully ignorant. And that's what made him feel so guilty. That he selfishly wanted to not know so that he didn't have to be aware of the issue. He didn't know the first thing about dyslexia and how to help someone with it. How was he going to help Ruby?

Why was he such a terrible dad?

He was lying on the couch, hands on his face, thoughts swirling around. It was completely quiet. They'd gotten back from the appointment about an hour ago, and Luke had stayed exactly where he was the whole time. Maybe time had frozen and he could stay like that forever. 

Or maybe he could grow up, face the facts, and act like the adult he was expected to be. 

God, that sounded so hard to do.

"Daddy?" Ruby had gotten bored of her toys in her room and come to investigate why the TV wasn't on like usual. Luke moved his hands and opened his eyes, meeting her curious gaze. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing, Bug." Everything was wrong. Luke sat up, leaning around her to grab the remote. Ruby crawled into his lap as he flipped through channels. 

"Are you sad because of me?" Ruby didn't know what that lady had said at the doctor's office, but her daddy hadn't said much since they'd gotten back. Was it her fault?

Luke rested his chin on top of her head, staring at the TV. "No, it's not you." Luke sighed. "I'm just worried."

Ruby reached up to pat his cheek. "It's okay. Everything will be okay." She'd heard her Uncle Ashton say that a lot when he was comforting someone. It worked ofr him, so Ruby thought it might work for her too. She glanced up to peek at his expression. "I love you."

Luke smiled just slightly. "Thanks, Bug. I love you too." Because Ruby was tough and she'd get through this. Luke would be there every step of the way, supporting her as much as he could. 

They'd figure this dyslexia thing out.