Not Girly Enough (Michael & Rigby)

Rigby wasn’t the biggest fan of dresses, but for the sake of hanging out with Trish for the day, she gave up her ripped jeans and flannel shirts just long enough for a luncheon her mom was throwing. The two of them had stopped talking back when they were in seventh grade, so in a way, Rigby just wanted to prove to her ex-best friend that she was a better person now that they weren’t friends. She still couldn’t figure out what a dress was gonna do, but it was worth a try anyway. 

Trish, all straight blonde hair and slender body, greeted her at the entrance. Her tightlipped smile was enough to satisfy Rigby at first. But then she noticed how Trish’s eyes lowered to her shoes with a peculiar look. Rigby didn’t own dress shoes. The closest thing she had to proper footwear were her combat boots. She shifted uncomfortably under Trish’s gaze and quickly made her way to a seat. The actual food was delicious, and Rigby had no trouble conversing with the woman around her. Despite the fact that she’d basically been raised by four guys, she could be a lady when she needed to be. Trish’s mother gushed over her, talking about what a joy she was and how happy she was that Rigby had come. 

Maybe that was why Trish cornered her in the bathroom. 

“Having a good time, Rigby?” Rigby glanced up from where she was washing her hands. Trish stood off to the side, fixing her lipstick. 

Rigby shrugged, going to dry her hands. “Yeah, I guess.” She turned her back to Trish, hoping she couldn’t see the nervous glint in her eyes. Growing up with her, Rigby knew how cruel Trish could be. 

Trish stepped in front of her, giving her the sweetest smile. “You did well, interacting with other girls and stuff. I thought for sure that you’d have a panic attack or something.” She shrugged. “You probably don’t come to these types of things often.”

Rigby took a step back as Trish took a step forward. Soon enough, her back was against the wall and Trish was glaring at her threateningly. “I see right through you, Rigby Clifford. You’re still that muddy little girl that got stuck in trees and had to have your daddy come rescue you at every sleep over. You never fit in.” Trish tilted her head to the side. “You never will.” As if to prove her point, she glanced down at Rigby’s boots, gave a little smile and turned on her heel, leaving Rigby in the bathroom. 

Rigby stood there for a second, not knowing what to do. She didn’t want to go out and face Trish and her façade again. But she didn’t want to stay in the bathroom and hide. If she called Michael, she’d just be proving Trish right. She was stuck. 

It was times like this when she wished she was fast enough to react on the spot. She would’ve pounded Trish to the ground and never regretted a single second. Rigby stepped out of the bathroom slowly, peeking to make sure no one (Trish) was waiting for her out in the hallway. She caught sight of a pile of ribbon with a pair of scissor lying on top. Snatching them up, Rigby stepped back into the bathroom and stood over the sink. If Trish wanted her to be herself than fine, she’d be herself and stop with this lady-like persona she’d been trying to keep up with. 

She lifted up a lock of her hair and snipped it away, allowing it to fall into the sink. She worked slowly, liking the way her hair went from long to just barely above her shoulder with one movement. Tossing the cut hair into the trash, Rigby exited the bathroom with her head held high. The drastic measure was just what she needed. It was uneven and choppy but it was very much Rigby in every way. And she loved it.

When Michael picked her up, he took one look at her hair and smiled. “Nice.”

“I thought it was time for some change.” She grinned, running her hands through it. “I got lots of compliments.” Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Trish send her a dirty look from where she stood beside her mother. And all was right in the world.