Check up (Luke & Ruby)

Ruby had broken her arm a few months back and now she was about to get the cast taken off. It would've been an exciting time if she hadn't stayed up and watched one of those horror movies where the doctor turns out to be the killer. Now she had an irrational fear of the guy she'd just seen a couple months back. 

"Do we have to go?" She asked once more, while Luke helped her into a waiting chair. She glanced around nervously and whispered, "What if he kills us?" The receptionist at the desk snorted. Once again, Ruby's whispering skills were lacking the much needed subtlety. 

Luke turned to look her in the eyes. "Ruby, he's not going to kill us."

"But--"

"Even if he tried, I'd fight him off and get us out of there, okay?"

Ruby's eyes widened. "Really?"

"Of course!" Luke nodded, leaning back in his seat. "There's no way I'd let anyone hurt you. You're my Ruby Bug."

Ruby sat back in her seat and sighed. "Okay then." She seemed completely at ease throughout the check-up. Up until the saw was brought out. She let out a little squeak and wiggled closer to Luke, shaking her head and mumbling something incoherent.

"Hey, look at me." Luke titled his head down to get a better look at her face. "It's okay. They're just gonna cut off the cast. Your arm will still be there, I promise." She didn't look convinced. "Just look at me and don't move, okay? It'll be over in no time."

And it was. One minute there was a cast wrapped around her and another minute it was in the trash and her arm was finally free.

"Everything looks fine." Her doctor said, nodding in approval. "You did great, Ruby!" She gave him a weak smile, still leaning into Luke. 

"You did a great job, Bug." Luke helped her off the doctor bed and set her on the ground. "This deserves some ice cream."

"We don't have to ever come back, right?"