A Lesson In Being Nice (Calum & Grey)

Calum picked them up for dinner. It was Grey's birthday and he'd wished to go out to eat with both his parents. So after an unnecessary amount of time, Calum and Karina agreed on a place to eat and then took a while longer to settle on a time.
"You're late." Karina said, helping Grey into his seat and buckling him up.
Calum sent her a cheeky smile as she took the passenger seat. "It's great to see you too, Karina, my day was great, thanks for asking."
She rolled her eyes, but couldn't fight the smile on her face. Although the two of them hadn't been a very great couple, they remained close friends. But just because they were still friends didn't meant Karina enjoyed being late because of Calum.
That's what got them in this situation in the first place.
Anyway, they made it in time to get a good table at Grey's favorite pizza place and besides a few snarky comments from the parents, everything went smoothly.
It was when they were leaving that things started to go bad.
Calum was helping Karina into her jacket when an older couple passed by them. Grey noticed the stares, the looks of disapproval, the harsh mutters as they passed by. Grey always noticed. Calum and Karina tried to pretend it didn't affect them, but Grey noticed that too.
Karina sighed, giving Grey a small smile before suggesting they go out for ice cream. Bu this eight year old wasn't going out for anything until he put a stop to this.
"Hey lady!" he called towards the couple, who were only a few steps away. Her and her husband turned to look at him, surprised at the ferocity of his glare. "How about you take the stick up your butt and put it to good use? You're walking a little funny anyway!"
Karina scrambled to cover Grey's mouth as Calum covered his mouth in an attempt to hide his laughter. The couple looked absolutely appalled. The grumbled and scolded as they walked a bit faster away from the little family.
"Stop laughing!" Karina reached out to smack Calum's arm. "This is serious!"
"Seriously funny, did you see their faces?" Calum doubled over, placing his hands on his knees as he burst into fresh laughter. "I have tears in my eyes right now, ohmygod."
Rolling her eyes, Karina knelt down to look at Grey. "Grey, we can't talk to people like that. That's really rude and disrespectful."
"They were being rude to you and Dad!" Grey argued. "Why do I have to be nice to them if they won't be nice to you?"
"That's the million dollar question here." Calum mumbled. Karina muttered something in Spanish under her breath while glaring up at him.
With a sigh, Karina turned to look at Grey. "You don't have to be nice to them for their sake. It's for yours. Because being mean to someone isn't good for you, okay?"
Grey pouted just slightly, wanting more answers. But he decided to let it go, giving Karina a small nod. She let out a relieved sigh, pressing a kiss to his forehead as she stood up.
Despite the glare she was giving him, Calum still started laughing again. He dodged her hand as she aimed to pinch his arm, grinning at Grey.
"Don't worry, that was still hilarious."