She takes care of me (Michael & Rigby)

Rigby had spent the afternoon over at Trish's house before Michael went to pick her up. The two of them had played outside all day, only coming in for snacks every once in a while. Rigby had loved their house, especially the treehouse in the backyard. They'd had a big dog that ran around with them and played fetch. And Trish's mom made the greatest snacks. She even helped Rigby fix her hair right before Michael got there. She loved Trish's family. 

"We had carrots and snap peas and cookies and watermelon and pizza bites and..." Rigby couldn't even remember all of the food she'd comsumed. She felt like she could explode at any second. "Lots of good stuff!" Michael laughed, handing her a cup of water. "Sounds like you had a lot of fun. Did you hang out with Trish's little brother too?" Kellen was just a year younger than the girls, but he was just as big and was able to catch up with them easily. He almost climbed as high as Rigby. She liked Kellen very much. He was fun. He threw water balloons with her. 

Rigby nodded eagerly. "I like her family! They’re nice. Her mommy braided my hair!” She gestured to the French braid, making Michael smile. He’d attempted that once, but after tangling up her hair too much to call it a braid, he’d given up complicated hairstyles and opted for the casual ponytail. Rigby sighed. “I want a mommy like her. She takes care of me.”

Michael deflated, frowning at her. “Hey, I take care of you. Am I not good enough?”

Rigby giggled, not noticing how hurt Michael actually was. “You’re not a mommy!” She took the last sip of water and climbed down for the chair. “I’m going to go braid my horsey’s hair! Trish’s mommy taught me how.” She skipped all the way to her room, leaving Michael alone in the kitchen.

Did she not think he was doing a good job? Did Rigby—at just five years old—resent Michael’s parenting skills? He was still learning, but he thought he was doing pretty well considering the circumstances. Was it not enough for Rigby? 

With a sigh, Michael shook away the thoughts. She was five. Most of what she’d said probably wasn’t supposed to be so harsh. She was just voicing her desires. And with a life like hers, who wouldn’t want a mother figure in her life if they were going to be so nice like Trish’s mom? Michael had literally felt like he was getting cavities while he talked to her. She was just naturally a sweet woman. 

Michael placed the glass in the sink, thinking that if Rigby really didn’t like how he took care of her, she’d let him know. She was blunt like that. Which was exactly how he’d raised her.