Ashton & Kadia

They were at the mall of all place. Why did this have to happen at the mall? Of all places, why the mall? Kadia paced back and forth, running her fingers through her hair in distress. She couldn't go out and face her dad with this current predicament. Ashton was a guy. Guys didn't understand periods, much less what to do about them. Of course, neither did Kadia. This was her first one. 

Holy crap, this was her first period. And she was at the mall. Stuck in a public bathroom, too embarrassed to face her dad. Kadia almost wanted to scream.

A few women entered the bathroom, smiling at her before going about their business. She stood there awkwardly. Toilet paper was not a good absorbent. She'd have to change it once these ladies were out of here.

One woman in particular seemed to take notice of Kadia's agitated demeanor. She turned away from the mirror and looked at her curiously. "Are you alright, sweetheart?" 

Kadia shook her head. "It's my first period." She could say that to other women, right? This wasn't some taboo thing no one talked about? Would they shun her for saying that?

The woman made a sound of sympathy, instantly digging into her purse. "I'm assuming you didn't come prepared." She smiled at her. "It's always good to carry one around just in case, your mother didn't teach you that?"

Kadia gratefully took the pad. "My mom left when I was a baby. She didn't teach me anything." 

The woman pressed her lips together in a thin line. "That explains that young man waiting outside." She nodded. "You'll be fine either way. Some woman don't need a mother to teach them anything. They grow up just fine without one." She patted Kadia's shoulder before exiting with the others.

Kadia left the bathroom, letting out a long breath as she met up with Ashton. He glanced up from his phone and grinned at her. "Took you a while, is everything okay?"

Kadia shrugged. "Got my period."

Ashton stared at her for a second in shock. "Are you old enough for that?"

"Dad, I'm thirteen." Ashton nodded quickly. turning away as they started walking towards the shops.

"I forget sometimes. You're still a little kid to me."

"Well, this little kid is currently wanting anything dipped in chocolate, can we go to that fro-yo place in the food court?" Kadia let Ashton throw his arm around her shoulders.

"Of course. I'll even pay." He smiled at her. "I'm glad you feel comfortable enough to tell me all these girl things. It makes me feel like I'm doing something right."

Kadia grinned. "This is a totally unbiased opinion, but I think you've done a lot right."

"Thanks, sunshine."