Dyslexia (Luke & Ruby)

Luke was unpacking boxes in their new apartment when Ruby came home. He sent a quick 'hey!' over his shoulder. The response he got was the slamming of doors. First the front and then Ruby's room. He stood there for a moment, counting to thirty. It was just enough time for Ruby to wrap her mind around what was making her upset, just before she exploded. It didn't even matter if someone was there to listen to her, she'd let it all out. 

Luke knocked on her door and then let himself in when he didn't hear anything. He thought he'd find the remnants of an explosion everywhere, but he found the opposite. Instead of exploding, Ruby seemed to have imploded. She was lying on her bed, curled into her pillow, her body shaking with sobs. Luke sat down beside her, gently pulling her closer to him.

"Hey, what's wrong?" He asked, brushing hair out of her face. Ruby sucked in a deep breath and sat up straighter.

"I hate living here, I want to move back." Her voice was so shaky and she sounded about five years old again.

Luke shook his head. "We can't go back. We both outgrew that apartment and this is the best one we could find, remember? Besides, you loved it last week."

"Last week I didn't have to go to school!" Ruby threw herself back onto her pillow, bursting into fresh tears. Luke could already guess what was going on. It seemed to happen at least a few times every year.

"Is it the homework or the kids?" He asked, rubbing her back in attempt to comfort her.

"We don't have homework yet."

Luke sighed. It was the kids. That was a little bit harder to deal with on his part. He couldn't even imagine what it was like for Ruby.

"I'm sorry, Ruby Bug." He mumbled. They sat there for a while, Luke occasionally saying something soothing while Ruby cried until she couldn't cry anymore.

"I'm such a screw up, I don't know how anyone puts up with me." Ruby muttered. She sat up to look at Luke again. "You don't deserve such a stupid kid."

"I don't have a stupid kid, stupid." Luke replied, earning a little smile from Ruby. "I have you and you're pretty great and the complete opposite of a screw up. Don't say that again." He reached out to ruffle up her hair and then quickly smoothed it back again. She was thirteen. She was too old for him to keep messing up her hair. "Forget what those kids say, it's not important. You're amazing and smart, no matter what anyone thinks or says. You just keep being you. This dyslexia stuff doesn't define you, okay?"

Ruby sighed, reaching out to pat Luke on the head. "You've gotten good at this parenting thing." She smiled and leaned into him, giving him a hug. "Thanks."

"No problem, Bug, that's what I'm here for."