Career Day (Ashton & Kadia)

Kadia stood in front of her class room with a big smile on her face. She had her paper in front of her, but her eyes were on the big guy cramped up in a little chair in the back of the classroom. That was her dad, Ashton, smiling back at her. He gave her a quick thumbs up and she returned the gesture. Now was her time to shine.

"My daddy goes to school during the day and works at night." She read aloud. "He goes to big people school and brings home even more homework than I do. He has to write essays all the tim. He studies a lot for tests, but sometimes he skips the studying to take me to the park and get ice cream." She glanced up to check and make sure Ashton was still listening. When she saw him nod encouragingly, she kept reading. "When it's my bedtime, Miss Jackie from across the hall comes over to help me get ready for bed and helps Daddy get ready for work. He has to wear a tie every night, so she helps him hide it under collar. She makes sure I brush my teeth at the same time. Miss Jackie is really nice. I like when she comes over. But I like going to work with my Daddy more. On weekends, I'm allowed to go with him. He works at the club downtown that everyone always talks about on TV. He's a bartender. Before the club opens, I'm allowed to listen to the DJ and dance on the dance floor. I have to stay in the backroom when it opens though. Because I'm not old enough to be with everyone. Sometimes I get to sit behind the bar and give people water and napkins. I like that job. It makes me feel like my daddy." Kadia glance up one more time to see Ashton grinning from ear to ear. She smiled back. "I love my daddy and I like his job. He said that I can do a lot more than he could ever do, but one day I would like to work there too." She set the paper down and bowed her head to the class as they applauded, then skipped to the back row and climbed into Ashton's lap. 

"That was awesome, Sunshine" He kissed her cheek quickly before turning his attention back to the front. The next kid was about to start and he wanted to give him the same undivided attention he'd given Kadia. The poor kid looked like he'd pee his pants any second.

"Can we get ice cream?" Kadia whispered, making Ashton smile just slightly. She couldn't actually whisper to save her life. 

"I have to get back and study for that test I have tomorrow." He responded in an emphasized whisper. 

Kadia pouted just slightly, keeping eye contact with Ashton. He laughed as quietly as he could. She was just way too adorable for his sanity.

"I guess I can just wing it for the test. Do you want to go to the park too?" Kadia nodded eagerly. "If I fail, it's on you."

"I'm okay with that!"