Valentine's Day or Bust (Michael & Rigby)

Rigby sat on the living room floor, staring down at her heart-shaped lollipop unhappily. Her best friend  had given it to her, right after she ditched her at lunch for her boyfriend. They'd planned to eat lunch together during the special Valentine's meal, but Rigby had been left all by herself. And not only at lunch, but that night's Valentine dance was starting to not sound as fun since her best friend would be joined to the hip with her boyfriend.

Michael sat down beside her, picking up the lollipop.

"They don't sell these anywhere cheap, who gave this to you?"

"Trish." Rigby waved her hand in disinterest. "You can have it."

"What? But it's from your best friend." Michael waved it in her face. "You don't want it?"

"Nope."

Michael set it down, studying her expression. He thought over the possibilities as to why she wouldn't want it and decided that it was either gross or Trish had done something. He took the wrapper off and tasted it. It wasn't gross. "Did you guys fight?"

Rigby shrugged. "Not really. She ditched me for her new boyfriend."

Michael sighed. "Middle school is rough, man." Rigby tugged at a few random strands from the carpet, not responding. "Is that the only reason you're upset?"

"I'm gonna be alone at the dance tonight." She yanked extra hard on a certain strand. "Trish is ditching me again. For some boy. I'm her best friend. I've been her best friend since we were five. But she's so willing to throw me away for a stupid boy. He's gross. He picks his nose still." 

Michael laughed then quickly cleared his throat to cover it up. This wasn't funny. "Well, if you want, I'll go with you." Rigby looked up at him. "Unless that's not cool?"

"I don't even want to go anymore." She mumbled. "The only reason I'm still gonna go was because you already bought me that dress."

Michael shrugged. "Then let's dress up and go eat. You don't have to go to some stupid dance with stupid boys that still pick their noses. You can hang out with me. I promise I won't pick my nose."

Rigby laughed softly, shaking her head at him. Michael nudged her. "Hey, don't even worry about Trish. I'll be your Valentine this year, just like I've been last year and every year before that." He grinned, already getting up. "I'll always be you Valentine."

Rigby let him pull her to her feet. "You're definitely better than a nose-picker."

"Your standards boost my confidence."