Ashton & Kadia

Starting out as a bartender, you got stuck with a lot of odd shifts. Much of those included really late at night when no one should ever be awake. Which would have been fine for Ashton if it wasn't for the fact that he was a newly single dad with a two month old baby that cried whenever he wasn't around. 

He stood in front of the mirror. adjusting his tie for the hundredth time. He was too worried about laving that his mind was too far gone to focus on the task at hand. He needed to find his shoes. But he also needed to make sure Kadia had her favorite blanket and the softer pair of pajamas. He needed to make sure there was enough formula for when she got hungry. He needed to--

Oh. There were his shoes. 

"Are you really okay staying here with her?" Ashton walked into the kitchen where his mom was busy feeding Kadia. He tugged at the tie nervously. 

His mom gave him an exasperated look. He'd asked at least ten times since she'd shown up thirty minutes ago. "It's fine, you need to work."

It was true. He'd missed the past couple of weeks of work thanks to the unexpected turn of events. (Thanks Dani, that was real swell of you.) And the rent wasn't going to be paying itself anytime soon. He had to go to work.

He had to go home.

It hadn't even been an hour when his mom called. She'd only been asking for any ideas Ashton had to get Kadia to stop crying, but it had made Ashton even more anxious. He couldn't focus on remembering orders, he kept knocking into the other bartenders, and he'd knocked over at least four different drinks.

Basically, he was back home in no time. His mom scolded him, but he swore that he'd pick up extra shifts later. For now, he just couldn't leave Kadia.

And by the way she instantly calmed down as soon as he was home, she obviously didn't want him to go either.