Luke & Ruby

Picking up Ruby from the airport was always exciting for Luke. She was off at college in New York, going through an internship with some magazine company, and growing up every second she was away. He almost didn't even recognize her when she ran towards him. Her hair was not only blonde but it was also a dark shade of blue. Luke laughed, ruffling it up as he looked at her. "What has New York done to you?" he joked, throwing his arms around her shoulder and leading her to the car. 

Ruby sighed. "Where do I begin?" She poured out her adventures, animatedly showing Luke photo after photo of her time with her new friends. She was in the middle at laughing at some crazy story she was telling Luke when Luke noticed the shiny glint from her hand. He reached out and pulled it closer to inspect the ring on her thumb.

"This is nice." He said, glancing at her suspiciously. "I thought you said you stopped buying jewelry after you realized it was an addiction?"

Ruby pulled her hand away, looking down with a small smile. "I didn't buy this one."

Luke knew that tone of voice. "Who did?"

Ruby glanced up at him and sent him a bashful smile. "Max."

The only Max that Luke knew that Ruby knew had been her hedgehog from when she was a kid. He was pretty sure that a hedgehog couldn't buy a ring.

"Who's Max?" He asked slowly, watching Ruby giggle and toy with the ring a little bit. 

"My boyfriend." She let out a dreamy sigh, avoiding eye contact.

Luke sat there, staring at her in disbelief. "Boyfriend? When did you get a boyfriend?"

Ruby glanced up at Luke and gave him a quick smile. She could tell by the tone of voice that Luke didn't approve. "He asked me on the way to the airport." She sat up and quickly added, "He's an intern too and we got to know each other really well, since we usually had to work together on projects. He's really sweet, you would like him."

"Isn't he supposed to ask me first?" Luke asked, fumbling with the car keys. "Isn't that a rule?"

"Yeah for marriage. Dad, we're just dating. Don't get ahead of yourself." Ruby shook her head at him.

Luke started the car and began driving out of the parking lot. He didn't know what to say now. 

"Does he like your blue hair?"

"Yep."

"Is he responsible?"

"Almost boringly so." Ruby rolled her eyes.

Luke nodded. "Alright, then I approve. But I need to talk to this kid. I can't be in New York to keep you out of trouble, so I might as well hire someone who can. If he wants to get on my good side, he'll do it."

"Ohmygod."