Breakfast Chapter 4

" Have you been awake all night? " Lori's groggy voice asks startling me. I jump and scoot over the corner of the tent. " Sorry sweetheart. I didn't mean to scare you. " She sits up and yawns. 

My heart calms down a little and she gets up. The sun is barely getting up. I stand up and stretch.  " How long have you been up Jesse. "  Lori digs in her bag for clothes. 

"  Uh, uh, I don't know. " I look around. 

Lori looks up and smiles softly. " You were up all night, weren't you. " I smile nervously and look down. Lori sighs and stands up. " I'll go get you some clothes to wear. You can change the other part of the tent. She gets up and leaves. I sit down and look at my small bag. A pair of dirty jeans, an old shirt, 2 socks, and a book. My knife's in the front pocket of the bag. 

" Here you go. " Lori scares me. I jump a little and take the clothes. 

" Thanks. " I blush and go to the other part of the tent. I change quickly and open the flap. Carl's yawning, barely getting up. 

" Good mornin' Jesse. " He smiles and I wave a little. 

I leave the tent and walk outside, into the early morning sun. Daryl and his brother are talking and hanging up some squirrels. 

I walk over to them nervously. Should I talk to them? Or leave them alone. They don't really talk to people. I stop about halfway to them and look into the trees around me. 

Maybe I should leave. Maybe I'm a burden. I  don't want to be a burden. 

I fail to hear footsteps behind me. " Mornin' Jesse. " A male voice says. I jump and blush. Oh. Daryl. " Sorry. Didn't mean ta scare ya. " 

" It's, uh, okay. " I smile at him a little. 

" Did ya sleep well? " He asks.

I shake my head. 

I didn't sleep at all. I look down at my shoes.  

DARYL P.O.V.

Yesterday, When Merle and I went into the woods, I had no idea we would find a little girl in the traps. She's such a shy kid. 

I think she's scared of everything. She looks around and thinks before she says or does anything. This morning, she was walking over to Merle and me, but she stopped. She looked at the woods and thought.

She's a jumpy kid. Always scared. Always cautious. 

Jesse looks down at her shoes. " Have ya eaten ye'? " I ask the small girl in front of me. 

" Uh, no. " I smile and look at my brother. He's loading stuff up for when he leaves today. 

" Let's get ya some food then. " I walk her over to Carol who's giving out food. 

I grab food and Jesse grabs some after me. I sit down on a log, and Jesse sits next to me. As she's eating, her eyes start to close. She blinks quickly and wake's herself up. 

I raise an eyebrow and she blushes, looking away.

JESSE P.O.V.                                                                                                                          

I follow Daryl back to his tent and watch as he takes a squirrel off the line. 

He's gonna skin it. I sit down next to him and watch as he skins the squirrel. 

I feel my eyes droop, and try to close. I blink and sit up straight. I take a deep breath and continue to watch Daryl's work.

After a few minutes, my eyes keep constantly trying to close. I keep trying to stay awake. I blink and look down at the squirrel pelt. 

My eyes threatened to close. I can't fight sleep. I need to sleep. My eyes close, and darkness takes over.