Caught Chapter 38

" Carl! You have a gun! " I say in shock. 

" Yeah. Isn't it cool! Look at this. Now we can protect the camp. " Carl smiles proudly as he looks at the dangerous weapon in his hands. 

" You could kill someone! " I say worriedly as I look around us. 

" Or, we could kill some walkers. " Carl says pointing the gun towards the field and shooting invisible walkers with invisible bullets. 

" This isn't good Carl. We could hurt someone. You need to put the gun back before anyone notices it's gone and we get in big trouble. " 

" No. " Carl shakes his head. " I'm gonna get Shane to teach me to shoot. " Carl says looking at Shane. 

" Do you have permission to be using the gun? Holding it? " 

" No. " Carl scoffs. " My mom would flip. I'm gonna learn behind her back. Come on. I bet Shane'd teach you too! " Carl tucks the gun away in his pants and leans against the RV, still chattering away about the gun. 

I don't want him to get in trouble. I don't want to get in trouble myself for being around a gun. " Dude, nice lid man. " Shane says walking over to us, away from the adults he was talking with. He kind of ignores me and taps the top of Carl's hat. " What's going on? " He asks. Carl drags me behind him as we walk with Shane. 

" We wanna learn how to shoot to. Can you teach us? " Carl asks as Shane leans against the front of the RV. 

" Well man, that's up to your parents. " Shane says looking at Carl. 

" Can you talk to them? They'll listen to you. " Carl says seriously. 

" We'll see. " Carl and I start to walk away when Shane calls him back. " Hey. Let me see what you've got there. " He says looking at Carl's side. The side where the gun is. Oh great. 

Carl shows Shane the gun and Shane throws the peach pit in his hands to the side. " Come on man. " He says disapprovingly. 

We're in trouble. Deep trouble.