Infirmary Chapter 65

I walk closely to the older boy who's leading me towards the infirmary. The halls are super dark and I hear the faint sound of walkers around us. I don't see them though. That's good. 

I jump a little and grab onto Carl's arm as a rat runs by me. Carl glances at me and sends me a small smile. We continue on our way towards the infirmary with a small flashlight leading the way. 

A loud groan fills the hallway. I pull out my pocket knife and Carl points his gun and the light in the direction the groan came from. A super ugly walker reaches for us as it walks closer. Carl shoots it and it falls down limply. I take in a deep breath and we continue on our way. We're gonna be in so much trouble. I shouldn't have. But then Carl could get hurt and no one would've been there to help him. 

Carl peeks into a room with some letters above it. Dang it. I can't understand it. I really need to learn how to read. 

" Here it is. I'm gonna kill the walker in there. Grab everything. Here's a bag. " Carl tosses me a bag. I nod and let him go first. He stabs the walker with a knife and I grab everything I see and toss it in the bag. There's a bunch I don't know in here. I grab some gaze out of a box and Carl shoves a few boxes of needles and string stuff in the bag. 

There isn't that much stuff in here. I guess there were a lot of people that needed medical attention before the world went bad. 

" We got everything. Let's go. " Carl nods towards the door as he leads me out. We walk back the way we came and I let out a breath of relief as the cell block door we came through comes into view. Light floods into the hall and we relax as we enter the cell block. I put my pocket knife in my pocket and help Carl grab on strap of the bag. Carl puts his gun away and smiles at me. " You did good. Let's go show everyone what we've got. " 

Glenn looks up at us as we walk towards the cell. " I thought you were organizing food? " He says looking at the bag in our hands. 

" Even better. " Carl grins as he steps into the cell. " Check it out. " We set the bag in front of Lori and Carol and they immediately go through it. Lori pauses and looks up at us. 

" Where did you two get this? " Carol asks looking through the stuff. 

" From the infirmary. " Carl and I step back to let the women look through the bag. " Wasn't much left. We cleared out whatever we could find. " 

Carol starts wrapping Hershel's leg. 

" By yourself? " Lori asks looking at Carl with alarm in her voice. 

" Well, I had Jesse. We both cleared out the infirmary. " 

Lori looks back at Hershel for a moment. " Are you crazy? " 

Uh oh. 

" No big deal. I killed two walkers. " Carl says getting defensive. 

" You-alright. Do you see this? " Lori points to Hershel's leg. Nice Lori. Use Hershel as an example. " This was with the whole group. " Lori says seriously. 

" We needed supplies so Jesse and I got them. " 

" I appreciate that but-" Lori gets cut off by Carl. 

" Then get off my back! " 

" Carl! " Beth says loudly. " She's your mother. You can't talk to her like that. " 

" Listen, it's great you wanna help-" Carl runs off before Lori can continue talking. 

I stare at the group awkwardly. " Jesse, go to your cell. I'll talk to Daryl about this later. " Lori sighs after she talks and I walk off, feeling very badly. We were just trying to help. We didn't think things would end up this way. Carl just wanted to prove himself to the group. That's all he wants. 

I walk into the cell block to see Carl staring at the wall. " Hey Car. " I sigh and climb up the bunk to sit next to him. 

He doesn't respond. 

" I still think you're brave. Even if they can't see it. You're a brave boy. The bravest boy I know. " I try to help him cheer up. " You were trying to help Hershel. That's very nice. " I smile softly at him. 

He sighs and looks at his hands. " My mom's disappointed now. Why can't she just understand I wanted to help? " 

" She's just worried. All parents get worried about their kids. " 

" I guess. I just wish she would appreciate what I do. " 

" She does. I'm sure she does. She's just worried for your safety. It's not like old times. " 

" I can take care of myself. " Carl protests. 

" I know you can. She knows you can. You're still her son though so of course Lori's gonna worry. She loves you. " I say softly, trying to ignore the pain in my chest. I don't have anyone to love or worry about me. Stop it Jessica. This isn't about you. I tell myself strictly. 

" Well, I guess. " Carl mumbles. 

I smile at him a bit and start to climb down. 

" Jesse. " 

" Yeah Carl? " 

" Thanks. " He smiles. " For everything. You're like my little partner in crime. " 

I shrug. " It's fun. " Not the getting yelled at part. 

" Thanks for everything. " 

" Your welcome Carl.