Sick Chapter 81

Please comment and vote. Thanks!

*****

I quietly braid the long strands of grass from the courtyard in my lap, tightly securing the ends together. 

" Cool. " Patrick says while looking over my shoulder. 

I smile up at him. " Thanks. You want it? I can make another. " 

" Sure. Can you teach me how to make them? " Patrick asks, pushing up his glasses. 

I nod. " Of course, dude. Here. " I hand him the grass bracelet, taking a few pieces of the grass and setting them on his lap. " You tie these ends together and you just start doing this. " I demonstrate how to make the bracelet, whispering him the instructions while sorta listening to Carol reading the book. 

" The children fasten their eyes on their bit of candle and watched it melt slowly and pitilessly away. Saw the half-inch of wick stand alone at last. Saw the feeble flame rise and fall. Climbed the thin tower of smoke longer at it's top a moment and then-" Carol shuts the book as soon as Lizzie's dad's gone. 

" Ma'am. Should I take watch now? " Luke asks. 

" Yes Luke, you do that. " Carol pulls out a large box. " Today, " She sets down the box in front of us kids. " we're talking about knives. How to use them. How to be safe with them, and how they could save your life. " 

Patrick gets an uneasy look on his face. He's visibly pale and sweaty. " Ma'am, may I be dismissed? " He asks. 

" What is it? " Carol asks. 

" I'm not feeling very well. " He swallows very harshly. 

" Sometimes you're going to have to fight through when you're feeling sick. What if you wind up out there alone? Are you just going to give up because you're feeling bad? " 

" No. It's just I don't want to yack on somebody. " 

Lizzie moves up a bit to make room for Patrick to walk past. 

" Go. " Carol excuses him. Once Patrick's gone, Carol looks back at us. " Today we're going to learn how to hold a knife. How to stab and slash and where to aim for. " 

I set the grass aside, deciding it's probably best to pay attention. Never know when I'll need to use a knife. 

Carol stops talking when she notices something on the other side of the room. " Please don't tell your father. " Carol pleads. 

My eyes land on Carl who quickly turns away and starts walking towards the door. 

Carl doesn't answer, he just leaves. 

Carol sighs, setting the knife down in her case. 

I jump up and chase after Carl. I pass by Luke who looks at me with wide eyes, knowing exactly what'll happen if Rick finds out. We'll be in so much trouble. 

" Carl! " I call, worried he'll tell his dad. 

" What Jesse? " Carl asks, obviously a little upset. 

I eye his hands carefully, still nervous he might hurt me if I get on his bad side. I haven't talked to him much since...the incident and I guess you can say I still don't fully trust him. " Carl! Wait! " I run in front of him, walking backward to stop him. " You can't tell your dad. " 

" Why not? " Carl asks. 

" Because. " 

" Because why? " Carl doesn't stop walking.