Explosions Chapter 18

My head bangs on a warm arm. I groan and whine a bit. I feel a hard surface under me as a warm body gets on top of me quickly. I ground shakes and my ears hurt as a loud explosion startles me. 

My eyes snap open as glass and other things fly past me. The person on top of me, who I figured out was Daryl, winces a bit and lets out a breath of pain as something hits him. Everything stops. I whimper. Daryl gets off of me and grabs his arm. He swears and my head pounds. 

" Ow! " I mumble and touch my head tenderly. I jerk my hand away as something sticky and wet meets my fingers. Blood. 

Daryl glances at me. " Yer bleedin'. " He gets up and opens his truck door. He pulls out an emergency kit and hands me a band-aid. 

" Thanks. " I mumble putting the band-aid on. 

" We gotta go! " Rick rushes everyone into their vehicles. I glance at Daryl, who wipes some blood away from his arm. 

" Are you hurt? " I ask walking towards the tall man. 

" Nah. I'll be fine. " He shrugs it off as a little blood drips down his arm. He turns to drop his bags in the back, and I grab a band-aid and a little rag from the box. I walk up to him and wipe away some of the blood. 

Daryl flinches, tenses, and turns around quickly, startling the living daylights out of me. I jump back. " What're ya doin'? " He asks startled. 

" You're bleeding. " I look up at him. " I'm trying to help you. " I walk around him and wipe off some more blood. I stick on the band-aid and crumple up the trash. 

I look around for a garbage can. Not that littering is our main problem at the moment. I shove the paper in my pocket. " C'mon. Get in the truck. The others are leavin'. " I glance at the RV, that pulls onto the road in a rush. 

I get into the passenger seat of Daryl's truck, and he follows the train of cars. I lean my head on the window and watch as we pass a bunch of dead walkers. Walkers reach towards us with hungry hands. 

The whole ride in Daryl's truck is full of silence as we follow our group. Never in all my years, ( Which isn't a lot ) did I think I'd be in this position with strangers. I mean, they aren't complete strangers, but they aren't my complete family yet either. Probably no one will ever be my family. No one wants me.