Laundry Chapter 34

I hum quietly to myself as I help Carol hang up some clothes to dry on the wire in between two trees. I've been helping her with chores all morning. I don't really mind. They're not as hard as the ones I got at the orphanage. I like this girl time, even if we aren't really talking. Lori's not out here, and I feel more at ease. 

" You have a pretty voice Jesse. " Carol says softly as she smiles at me. 

" Oh. " I blush at the compliment. " Thanks. I didn't know you could hear. Am I bugging you? " I ask a little worried I'm annoying her. 

" Oh no. Not at all. It's been a while since I've heard someone singing. It's nice. " 

" Thanks. " I say again. I push my chair over a bit so I can hang another shirt. I step up on the chair and clip the shirt up. 

" I can't believe I slept in. " Lori's voice startles me. I jump a bit and Carol steadies me before I fall onto the ground. 

" Thank you. " I say a little  embarrassed. 

Carol nods. " You must have needed it. " Carol says clipping a up some more clothes. I stand back as Lori takes some clothes from the basket on the table. " Feeling alright? " Carol asks Lori. 

" Next time, wake me, alright? Especially on Laundry day. " 

" We can manage. " Carol smiles at Lori. " Jesse and I've got an idea we want to run by you. " 

" What's that? " 

" Well, that big kitchen of theirs got me thinking. " Carol clips up a flannel shirt. " I wouldn't mind cooking in a real kitchen again. Maybe we all pitch in and cook dinner for Hershel and his family tonight. " 

I love cooking. I was the one who suggested the cooking. I used to help the staff at the orphanage cook. It was so much fun. We'd laugh and mess around. 

" After everything they've done for us, seems like the least we could do. " 

" You mind extending the invitation? " Carol asks. " It'd feel more right coming from you. " 

Lori looks confused. " How? " 

" You're Rick's wife. It sort of makes you our unofficial first lady. " 

Mean first lady. I'm sure the Grinch's wife is nicer. That reminds me. Is Santa alive? Up at the North Pole? I mean, he's immortal right? Are there walkers at the north pole? Is Santa okay? I hope he's okay. Christmas would really brighten up people's day. 

" Morning guys. Let's get going. " Rick says, capturing my attention. 

What are they doing? 

I shrug and hang up some pants. Daryl pulls on a shirt as he walks around the car Rick's map is on. Jimmy walks over to them and Rick listens to him. 

Dale sets the guns on the car and Daryl grabs his crossbow. He says something and walks around the car again. " Jesse! " He calls to me, gesturing me over. 

I set the dress in my hands in the basket and run over to him. I walk with him a little as he talks. " I'm goin' out. Stay here. No walkin' on that fence like ya were doin' yesterday. Behave. " He says seriously. 

" Okay Daryl. " I nod. " I'll be good. " 

" Good. See ya later kid. " He ruffles my messy hair and walks off. I watch as he disappears into the woods, his figure growing smaller and smaller. 

Now, what am I gonna do all day? Lori and Carol are having a fun conversation and laughing. I don't want to bug them. Pretty much everyone else is out looking for Sophia. 

What to do. What to do. How about go talk to Maggie? She seems nice. Yeah. I'll go talk to her. 

Where is she?