Safety

DARYL P.O.V.

I feel something light touch my arm. I look down and see a sleeping Jesse. I smile at the sleeping kid. 

" The kid asleep? " Merle asks sitting down in his chair. 

" Yup. Jesse's asleep. "

" Why do ya let her hang around ya? Ya don't like kids. " Merle takes a squirrel.

" It's not that I don't like kid's, they just don't like me. " I shrug and move on to my next squirrel.

" Kids can be a pain. " 

" Depends on the kid. Some are angel's, other's are demons. " 

Jesse P.O.V.

I wake up to some one shaking me slightly. I jump and look at Daryl. He smiles. " Dinner's gonna be ready soon. " 

" Dinner? " I ask. Did I really sleep that long? 

" Yeah. Ya slept fer a while. Did ya not sleep last night? " He asks.

I nod and blush looking down at my feet.  " That's not good Jesse. Ya need ta sleep. " 

I shrug and Carol yells " Dinner's ready! " I get up and walk to her. 

" Hi Carol. Thank you. " She hands me a bowl and she smiles, handing a bowl to Lori. 

I walk back over to Daryl, and start to eat. 

We eat quietly, until Lori tells me time for bed. I turn to Daryl as I get up. " Good night Daryl. "

" Night Jesse. " 

I follow Lori into the tent, and she hands me some clothes. I change and sit on my sleeping bag. Carl lays down next to his mom.

" You should take a bath tomorrow Jesse. " Lori brushes her hair, and I look at mine.

Long. Messy. Dirty.

I frown, and we all lay down. 

Lori, and Carl are sleep, in their beds. I can't sleep. I don't feel safe. I sigh and sit up. I hear light chatter outside. I get up quietly and unzip the tent door. 

I walk out into the night air and look around. Daryl and his brother are outside of their tent's smoking. 

I quietly walk over to them. " Jesse? Is that you? Why are ya up so late? " Daryl asks squinting at me. 

I blush and look down at my untied shoes. " I, uh, couldn't sleep. " 

" Come over here. Ya can hang out with us. " I walk over to Daryl, and sit down next to him. He pulls out a blanket and hands it to me. I put it around my shoulders and listen to the brothers talk quietly. I curl up on the floor, and my eye's start to close. 

I fall asleep to the feeling of comfort and safety.