Barn Chapter 41

I take a bite of my breakfast and look up at everyone. Maggie's watching Glenn from the porch and she shakes her head. What's that about? 

I look up at Daryl who's playing with one of his arrows. Glenn gets up and walks over towards the tent. Daryl picks at his food. 

" Um guys, " Glenn pauses. " so, " He pauses again. " The barn's full of walkers. " 

W-walkers? Like, the rabid things that are eating people? They're in the barn?! Everyone stops what they're doing and looks up at Glenn. 

Oh shoot. What's gonna happen? 

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Shane leads us all towards the barn full of walkers. He walks us close to the door and peeks in through a crack. Their moans fill my ears and cause me to grab onto Daryl. 

Shane backs away from the barn and walks towards Rick. " You cannot tell me you are alright with this. "

" No, I'm not. But we're guests here. This isn't our land. " 

" God this is our lives man! " Shane says angrily. 

" Lower your voice. " Rick hisses. 

" We can't just sweep this under the rug. " Andrea says looking at Rick. 

" It ain't right. Not remotely. " T-Dog says shaking his head. 

" We've either got to go in there, we've got to make things right, or we've just got to go. " Shane says looking around the group. " We've been talking about Fort Benning for a long time. -" 

Rick cuts Shane off. " We can't go. " 

" Why? Why Rick? " Shane asks. 

" Because my daughter's still out there. " Carol says calmly. 

" Okay. " Shane laughs humorlessly and covers his eyes with his hands in a frustrated manner. " I think it's time that we all start to just consider the other possibility. " 

" We are not leaving Sophia behind. " Rick says stubbornly. 

" I'm close to finding this girl. I found her doll two days ago! " Daryl says walking forward a bit. I hurry after him and peek out from behind his legs. 

Shane chuckles. " You found her doll Daryl. That's what you did. You found a doll. " Shane says rudely. 

" You don't know what the heck you're talking about. " Daryl says getting in Shane's face. This time I don't follow him. I stand all alone behind Daryl. 

" I'm just saying what needs to be said here! " Rick puts an arm up to try to stop the two men from hurting each other. " You get a good lead within the first 48 hours-" 

" Shane stop! " Rick says to Shane. 

" Let me tell you something else man. " Shane ignores Rick. " If she was alive and saw you coming, all methed out with your buck knife, and geek ears around your neck, she'd run in the other direction. " Shane points out to the woods. 

Daryl lunges for Shane but Rick stops him. They start fighting and I take off. I run towards the tents and past the fence. I'm scared. I don't want them to fight. I don't want them to get hurt. 

I wipe away a tear of fear and run past the last tent. I slow down once I reach the chicken coop and slow down. I sit down on the ground and cry a little. 

I wipe away some tears as little chickens crowd around me, looking for food. I pick one up and stroke it's head. It tries to get away at first, but calms down once it realizes I mean no harm. 

I sit there for like half an hour, petting chickens and giggling at their cuteness until Maggie walks towards me. She smiles at me. " Hey Jesse. Wanna help me gather the eggs? " She asks gesturing to the chicken coop. 

" Sure. " I set the chickens down and stand up, brushing off any feathers on me. I help her gather eggs as Glenn walks up. 

" Maggie. Hey. Maggie just talk to me. " Glenn says as Maggie ignores him. 

She gestures for me to follow after her as she leaves the coop. 

" Hey Maggie. " Glenn says following us. I look around awkward as Glenn continues to follow us. 

She finally turns around. " Give me your hat. " She says to Glenn. " You said talk to you, I'm talking to you. Give me your hat. " 

Glenn hands her his hat, very confused. Maggie puts an egg in his hat and smashes it on his head.  

Glenn pulls the hat off. " Why would you waste an egg like that? " He asks. 

" I think it was rotten. " Maggie grabs my hand and leads me towards the house. I giggle a bit and Maggie smiles.